SOLVED: Want to update Total7Zip plugin. Where to find 7zG.exe and 7z.sfx files?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MarkusH

SOLVED: Want to update Total7Zip plugin. Where to find 7zG.exe and 7z.sfx files?

Post by *MarkusH »

Hello folks,

I want to update the 7Zip files of the Total7Zip packer plugin, but If I download the official commandline version of 7Zip (from www.7-zip.de for example) there are no 7zG.exe and 7z.sfx files in the archive. If I only update the 7z.dll in the plugin drawer then the whole pluigin does not work anymore.

Does anyone know wehere to find this files?

Why updateing? After updating my Backup-solution wich uses an actual 7Zip algorithm, the Total7Zip plugin canot handle this archive anymore.
Thank you very much in advance for some hints.

Markus
Last edited by MarkusH on 2022-08-02, 19:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Want to update Total7Zip plugin. Where to find 7zG.exe and 7z.sfx files?

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

I have just downloaded 7zip (64bit) from the source you have mentioned - and there are all necessary files in the archive!
Here's a list of the contents:
7z.dll
7z.exe
7z.sfx
7zCon.sfx
7zFM.exe
7zG.exe
7-zip.chm
7-zip.dll
7-zip32.dll
descript.ion
History.txt
License.txt
readme.txt
Uninstall.exe
Just checked the 32bit version - 7zG.exe and 7z.sfx are there as well! So I cannot reproduce your problem.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
MarkusH

Post by *MarkusH »

Wilhelm, thank you for your answer.

Apparently these files are only included in the installer version of 7Zip. Since I prefer portable programs, I had downloaded the *.zip archive instead of the *.exe, assuming that they both have the same content. But this is not so. :-)

I have now installed 7Zip temporarily in a virtual machine and copied the necessary files for the TC plugin.
Thanks for your time and help, Wilhelm. :D

Greetings
Markus
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Just press Ctrl+PageDown on 7-zip installer and copy files!
MarkusH

Post by *MarkusH »

I have now updated the 7Zip files, but my "weird" problem still persists (I should probably open a new post for this).

I can open the archive created with the commandline version of 7Zip (21.07 2021-12-26) with TotalCommander, but I can't copy files out of the archive (-> error reading file).

But if I copy another file into such an archive with TotalCommander, then TotalCommander can also copy it out.

Does anyone have an idea how this can be solved, so that I can also copy out the files that the commandline version of 7Zip has created?

Image: https://i.ibb.co/grzH35g/7cd807aa41fe.png

Image: https://i.ibb.co/Tvj2thh/4e08d35acd57.png

The problematic archive file ist available for 30 days here: https://ufile.io/s6eiahyk
Click on free download to save the file.
Last edited by MarkusH on 2022-08-01, 11:57 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MarkusH

Post by *MarkusH »

Gral wrote: 2022-08-01, 11:28 UTC Just press Ctrl+PageDown on 7-zip installer and copy files!
WTF!? :shock: Great hint, thanks, Gral! :D
Using TC for decades now and and I have not known this function.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

MarkusH wrote: 2022-08-01, 11:49 UTC I have now updated the 7Zip files, but my "weird" problem still persists (I should probably open a new post for this).

I can open the archive created with the commandline version of 7Zip (21.07 2021-12-26) with TotalCommander, but I can't copy files out of the archive (-> error reading file).

But if I copy another file into such an archive with TotalCommander, then TotalCommander can also copy it out.

Does anyone have an idea how this can be solved, so that I can also copy out the files that the commandline version of 7Zip has created?

Image: https://i.ibb.co/grzH35g/7cd807aa41fe.png

Image: https://i.ibb.co/Tvj2thh/4e08d35acd57.png

The problematic archive file ist available for 30 days here: https://ufile.io/s6eiahyk
Click on free download to save the file.
Can not confirm.
This works flawless here.
No problem to copy files out of such an archive using a fresh TC.
Command line used to pack was:
C:\TEMP\Test>"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7za.exe" a test.7z *.txt
The version of the 7za command line packer is 22.1.0.0
Also files form your archive can be copied out using a fresh TC instance.
It doesn't work with the Total7zip plugin installed.
I guess the reason is that your files contains the full path from the root.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-08-01, 12:14 UTC ... files form your archive can be copied out using a fresh TC instance.
It doesn't work with the Total7zip plugin installed.
Same here.
Also i tried pack files with exactly same version of 7z.exe command line - 21.07 - no such a error.
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Weird indeed.
Actually, I don't use Total7zip but the old 7zip-plugin. So I cannot test it myself. But from what Horst.Epp says I would conlude that the new version needs perhaps some other files from the 7zip installation file. Why not copy all the dlls from the file to your plugin directory? Using the way that Gral proposed. On the other hand, Horst.Epp would have said so if any other file was necessary... Mysterious.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
MarkusH

Post by *MarkusH »

I have now copied all files from the 7Zip installation packages (32 and 64 bit) to the appropriate places in the plugin folder.
Unfortunately nothing has changed.
I guess the reason is that your files contains the full path from the root.
Tonight I'll see if I can change any parameters in the "total7zip.template.xml". Currently no time for it, I'm at work.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have now copied all files from the 7Zip installation packages (32 and 64 bit) to the appropriate places in the plugin folder.
And what do you consider the appropriate places? The 64 bit files should be in a subfolder to the total7zip folder with the name 64.

The 32 bit files can either be placed in the total7zip folder.

You can place the 32bit 7zip files in a subfolder to the total7zip folder with the name 32 - but then you have to edit the Total7zip.xml file and change the line:

Code: Select all

<path path_7z_dll="" path_7zG_exe="" />
to:

Code: Select all

<path path_7z_dll="%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\WCX\Total7zip\32\7z.dll" path_7zG_exe="%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\WCX\Total7zip\32\7zG.exe" />
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MarkusH

Post by *MarkusH »

petermad wrote: 2022-08-01, 15:27 UTCAnd what do you consider the appropriate places?
Of course, exactly the places where these files were located in the original state of the Total7Zip plugin.
Attached is a comparison picture.

Image: https://i.ibb.co/qpX2wZX/40cd110b7090.png

And I believe that Horst Epp is right. It will be because the file 'Konstruktion.jpg' with the entire directory path and drive letter is stored in the 7Zip archive.

If you look at the whole thing in the 7Zip FileManager, then it becomes clear. Total7Zip apparently can't handle this or doesn't seem to configure the DLL or the 7zG.exe correctly so that the file can be extracted individually.

Image: https://i.ibb.co/tq9zBJ3/5a28ec339982.png

Anyway, I did not get it to run even after looking at the file 'total7zip.template.xml'.

[after fiddling around for a while...]

I have now found a solution for me:

In the used backup script the options-string for 7Zip can be adjusted. I have now used the option "-spf2" instead of the option "-spf". This leads to the fact that all files are still archived with fully qualified file path, but no longer with the leading drive letter.

Image: https://i.ibb.co/jZ2Kv3w/39fbf8ec9965.png

This is okay for my purposes, since I create a separate archive for each drive.

This now also works with Total7Zip and I can also extract individual files from the archive. Yippee.