solved [TC 10.50] Unexpected search result for list search with wildcards

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Will not be changed [TC 10.50] Unexpected search result for list search with wildcards

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-08-24, 16:30 UTC I used some of your suggestions for the help.
I've analyzed the new text.

I still think is better to change the order. There is a big part about list files, followed by 1 line about the ">" character. It isn't clear that the help text about list files has ended. So I still suggest to move that line up.
And I think it is better to do the explaining first and put the examples at the end.

The text doesn't explain you can't use wildcards or regular expression in the paths. I have seen multiple times on the forum that people tried this.
How to use regular expressions is not explained, that's only clear from the example.

The following line is not true:
The "Search for" field is ignored when searching from list.
This is only true with "current dir only" and should be explained under Important.

One time you forgot to replace "search results" with "list file" when you re-used my suggested text.

You didn't change "F2 Search in found files", in the program it is called "F2 Search in found files/folders".
And you didn't explain the behavior of "current dir only" here. Don't you want people to know how it works?

I made another attempt to improve the text.
This time, lines moved to another location are not marked by another color, only changed text is.
Search in:

Here you can enter one or more starting directories, separated by ";". You can also start the search inside an archive.
Put '>' character in this field before saving the search to keep the "Search in" field unchanged when loading the saved search.
You can enter the name of a text file (ANSI, UTF-8 or UTF-16, the latter two with BOM) containing a list of files and directories to be searched, in the form @c:\path\filelist.txt. The file must contain one file or directory name per line, either an absolute path, or relative to the location of the list file. Wildcards and regular expressions are also supported, but not in paths. Use the character '<' to indicate the start of a regular expression.
Important:
When searching a list file and "Search subdirectories" is set to 1 level or higher:
* Directories listed in the list file will be searched within, the directories themselves will not be in the results.
When searching a list file and "Search subdirectories" is set to "current dir only":
* It works like loading a file/folder list from file, only the files and directories listed in the file will be found, no files inside of the listed directories.
* Lines in the list file containing wildcards or regular expressions are ignored.
* The "Search for" field is ignored.

Sample list: Description
c:\testdir\filename.txt Searches just for "filename.txt" in "c:\testdir" (search depth has no effect)
c:\testdir\ Searches inside "c:\testdir" for search string defined in "Search for" (search depth >=1)
Only searches for "c:\testdir" itself, ignores search string defined in "Search for" (search current dir only)
c:\testdir\*.txt *.doc Searches "c:\testdir" for txt and doc files (search depth >=1)
c:\testdir\<regular expression Searches "c:\testdir" using regular expression (search depth >=1)
F2 Search in found files/folders

If checked, the next search will be performed on the displayed search results.
When "Search subdirectories" is set to 1 level or higher:
* Directories listed in the search results will be searched within, the directories themselves will not be in the results.
When "Search subdirectories" is set to "current dir only":
* Only the files and directories listed in the search results can be found, no files inside of the listed directories.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: solved [TC 10.50] Unexpected search result for list search with wildcards

Post by *white »

Tested using TC10.51rc4. You took over my text with a view adjustments. Looks OK, thanks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for the nice text! I added a note that the "Search for" field is ignored also when searching 1 level deep or more, and there were wildcards or a regular expression in the line of the search file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-08-30, 07:31 UTC Thanks for the nice text! I added a note that the "Search for" field is ignored also when searching 1 level deep or more, and there were wildcards or a regular expression in the line of the search file.
Somehow I missed that. Nice, but doesn't that also apply for file names? How about:
* Directories listed in the list file will be searched within, the directories themselves will not be in the results.
* File names and expressions containing wildcards or a regular expression listed in the list file override the "Search for" field. (The "Search for" field is ignored for these lines)
I noticed you didn't italicize these headings:
When searching a list file and "Search subdirectories" is set to 1 level or higher:
When searching a list file and "Search subdirectories" is set to "current dir only":
When "Search subdirectories" is set to 1 level or higher:
When "Search subdirectories" is set to "current dir only":
I thought that made it more clear. Didn't you agree?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Somehow I missed that. Nice, but doesn't that also apply for file names? How about:
I think it's clear enough as it is now.
I noticed you didn't italicize these headings:
I don't think it's necessary, the * in front of the following lines make it clear.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com