Trackpoint scrollwheel not working

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Magister

Trackpoint scrollwheel not working

Post by *Magister »

I have a Lenovo keyboard with trackpoint (small red thinggy between GHB keys), there is a Lenovo driver to activate a feature that you can press the middle button and move the trackpoint up or down to have the same behaviour as a scrollwhell. It works everywhere in Windows, in all apps, but not in TC.

In TC when I press the middle button it changes the icon to the scrollwheel one, but pushing up or down does nothing. Pushing left or right makes all kind of strange behaviour with window scrooling and I cannot stop it.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Trackpoint scrollwheel not working

Post by *Dalai »

Do you run TC as administrator?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Magister

Post by *Magister »

Yes I'm running as Administrator, but even as a non-admin it does not work
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I suggest to play with the settings in the Synaptics (?) driver and see if that changes anything. Do that in a TC that is not running elevated (as admin).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Magister

Post by *Magister »

I tried before it changes nothing. TC is written in Delphi? Maybe it does not react on the events like others apps? Can Christian give me a version or a trick to log windows events? Obviously I understand it might be a Lenovo driver glitch, but really it works in each and every application I tried in windows. TC is the only one not working
Magister

Post by *Magister »

It may be relative to not receiving the EN_HSCROLL event? @ghisler how can we debug this?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, which device and Windows version do you have? Is the driver for the trackpoint really installed?

Is the trackpoint a Synaptics device or a different one? My brother just told me that he had contact with an older Lenovo device that had an ALPS trackpoint (or UltraNav, which also includes the touchpad) where scrolling also didn't work. And the culprit is most likely the driver. Synaptics devices (like the one in my ThinkPad T43) work fine.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Magister

Post by *Magister »

It looks ike it's a Chicony one, and the program that is used to catch the middle button and emulate mousewheel, seems to be called hscrollfun.exe.

I have latest Win11Pro and the device is a Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint Keyboard II.

Driver may be the prob, but the feature is working in all and every apps I tested, except TC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I tried before it changes nothing. TC is written in Delphi? Maybe it does not react on the events like others apps?
I'm not handling scroll events myself in listboxes like the file lists, that's all done by the Windows LISTBOX control. It doesn't depend on the used programming language.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Magister

Post by *Magister »

I understand Christian, but there's something odd then because it's the only app misbehaving :-(
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Ah, it's just the keyboard. Up until now I thought you have a laptop using such a keyboard. I misunderstood that.

I suggest to try in Windows Safe Mode and/or to uninstall the driver if scrolling works without it.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence