[TC10.51] In-Place Rename Breaks for Freshly Created Files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jiangzhenjerry

[TC10.51] In-Place Rename Breaks for Freshly Created Files

Post by *jiangzhenjerry »

Hello all,

I encountered this unique circumstance where in-place rename seems to break. I recorded a short video to show it:

https://imgur.com/a/OWSKTvg

In this video:
Step 1. I have this "A.txt" file in the folder.
Step 2. I use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to create multiple copies of the file: "A - Copy.txt", "A - Copy (2).txt", "A - Copy (3).txt".
Step 3. I rename "A - Copy.txt" to "A1.txt".
Step 4. Without pressing the enter key, I press the arrow-down key.

Actual outcome: "A1.txt" jumps to the bottom of the list, and the to-be-renamed file becomes "A - Copy (3).txt".
Expected outcome: The order of the list shouldn't change, and the to-be-renamed file should be "A - Copy (2).txt".

Note that this only happens for freshly created files in this session. In other words, after Step 2, if I quit and relaunch TC, and then start to rename "A - Copy.txt", then the in-place rename works fine.

If anyone can try and confirm this issue, it will be appreciated!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC10.51] In-Place Rename Breaks for Freshly Created Files

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you use "Auto-refresh when the file system changes" in Configuration - Options - Refresh?
TC suspends this function while renaming a file, and resumes it when the rename box closes. This happens when you jump from one file to the next.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jiangzhenjerry

Yes, indeed I use Auto-refresh. However, it doesn't fully explain what I am seeing. Let me try to make a clearer comparison below (and I only highlight the different part).

Scenario 1: Start with an "A.txt" in the test folder Scenario 2: Start with an "A.txt" in the test folder
Step 1 Use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to create multiple copies of the file: "A - Copy.txt", "A - Copy (2).txt", "A - Copy (3).txt". Use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to create multiple copies of the file: "A - Copy.txt", "A - Copy (2).txt", "A - Copy (3).txt". Quit TC, and relaunch TC.
Step 2 Rename "A - Copy.txt" to "A1.txt". Rename "A - Copy.txt" to "A1.txt".
Step 3 Without pressing the enter key, press the arrow-down key. Without pressing the enter key, press the arrow-down key.
Outcome "A1.txt" jumps to the bottom of the list, and the to-be-renamed file becomes "A - Copy (3).txt". "A1.txt" doesn't jump to the bottom of the list, and the to-be-renamed file becomes "A - Copy (2).txt".
zhugecaomao

Post by *zhugecaomao »

2jiangzhenjerry

hi, your TC icon set is so nice, can you share your WCMICON*.dll?
Total Commander Version 11.00b10 64 bit
jiangzhenjerry

2zhugecaomao

Thank you. Unfortunately it is not ready to share yet. When I compiled my WCMICONS.DLL, I only included the icons that I need, so other people will likely find the icon set very incomplete. In addition, I am too lazy to create a good WCMICONS.INC file...
zhugecaomao

Post by *zhugecaomao »

2jiangzhenjerry

thanks for your reply, it is ok :)
Total Commander Version 11.00b10 64 bit
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't consider this a bug (see my reply above), so I will move this thread to "Will not be changed".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com