AHK Script Help for Clicking Pop-Up Errors During Data Copying

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BeRoM

AHK Script Help for Clicking Pop-Up Errors During Data Copying

Post by *BeRoM »

Hi all!

I am in the process of duplicating many 4-8TB hard drives of data, and I am using TC for the job.

I am using multiple desktops at once, but I have noticed a couple of issues during my first few drives:

1) I am regularly encountering error pop-ups "unable to read xyzxyz.xyz - do you want to skip, retry, or abort?" - this is happening on every PC, even though there are no restrictions on the drives - my solution is to use an AHK script to click "retry" on the pop-up with the keystroke "e" - however, the script is only reliable if I am actively using the desktop when the error pop-up occurs - otherwise, the window "pops-up in the background" and my script just presses 'e' a bunch. This is causing me problems because I am using multiple desktops and need the data to duplicate in the background without having to babysit it. Any ideas on how to force the pop-up window to be active on top?

Current code:

Code: Select all

win_id := "ahk_class TExtMsgForm"
loop{
    winwait,% win_id
Sleep, 1000
WinShow, ahk_class TExtMsgForm
Sleep, 1000
Send e
Sleep, 1000
}
return
2) I was exploring/searching the forum and found 'big file copy mode' - maybe this will help me with my other problem - currently I am using the standard copy method, and while the desktops doing the copying have 64GB RAM each, the copying is taking up just about all of it and bogging the PC down to the point where it is unusable. I will try 'big file copy mode' to see if this helps avoid the RAM demand, but any advice is welcome.

Thank you all for your time!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: AHK Script Help for Clicking Pop-Up Errors During Data Copying

Post by *Horst.Epp »

TC or any other file manager isn't the right tool for such an job.
Using an image backup or copy tool this should be no problem.

Did you ask in the AHK forums for a solution of your script problem ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

The read error thing is strange. Are the drives or controller bad, or are the files changing while you're backing them up? I would try to figure that issue out, else you won't have a very good copy of things. But as for your AHK question...

I think you want to use WinActivate instead of WinShow. I also don't think you need to repeat the criteria in the WinActivate line because it defaults to the last found window. You should probably ask over at AHK to be sure.

Hope that helps, at least a little.

P.S. On item #2, I have no idea. I don't experience the kind of RAM usage you're talking about, even huge copy jobs that run for hours/days. Sounds like there is something more going on there. If it were me, I would be thinking it might be related to the read errors? Controller issue? Check device manager? A little above my pay grade. I'm only a junior member. :)
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

BeRoM wrote: 2022-11-16, 20:48 UTC
I am in the process of duplicating many 4-8TB hard drives of data, and I am using TC for the job.

1) I am regularly encountering error pop-ups "unable to read xyzxyz.xyz - do you want to skip, retry, or abort?"

You mean you are using Copy by F5 ?

That shouldn't be a problem anymore:
27.08.13 Release Total Commander 8.50 public beta 1 (32/64)
10.03.13 Added: F5 copy: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end (32/64)

Google for
"ask at the end" site:ghisler.ch
to find more info from the forum, like
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=268671#p268671

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

BeRoM wrote: 2022-11-16, 20:48 UTCerror pop-ups "unable to read xyzxyz.xyz - do you want to skip, retry, or abort?
This can occur on system-occupied files. For such, special tools like HoboCopy are needed.
In addition, I would copy such amounts of data at least with robocopy or FastCopy, not with TC.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
BeRoM

Post by *BeRoM »

Unfortunately I only have two options for copying this data.... standard Windows, or TC - no other software is authorized, otherwise I would try TeraCopy or FastCopy... so, TC wins.

The "ask at the end" function seems like the answer to my second issue... though I don't see a setting for this in the Options menu. Using the link that @Stefan2 sent, it looks like I need to manually add 'SkippedFileCopy=100' somewhere under the [Configuration] section of the wincmd.ini file. It'd be nice to have this as a selection in F5/F6's drop-down menu.

Regarding my first issue, as of this morning, using 'big file copy mode' via the queue has resulted in no errors so far, with a significant reduction in RAM utilization, as well as a noticeable increase in copying speed.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

BeRoM wrote: 2022-11-17, 15:16 UTC Unfortunately I only have two options for copying this data.... standard Windows, or TC - no other software is authorized, otherwise I would try TeraCopy or FastCopy... so, TC wins.
Firstly, registration for FastCopy is not required. The installer can extract the program to any TC folder for portable use. Besides, I didn't offer TeraCopy. It was about robocopy, which is part of Windows, starting with Vista. In what TC won, I did not understand..
Overquoting is evil! 👎