The NAS in totalcmd connected via FTP downloads all the files I was working with on the PC.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Vit_Dram

The NAS in totalcmd connected via FTP downloads all the files I was working with on the PC.

Post by *Vit_Dram »

When working with the NAS in totalcmd connected via FTP, not in the local network, all the files I was working with are downloaded to the PC. Is it possible to fix this?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: The NAS in totalcmd connected via FTP downloads all the files I was working with on the PC.

Post by *sqa_wizard »

For technical reasons the file must be downloaded to view or edit it!

Just imagine you want to read the content of a book which is located at the library, but you are at home.
It is not possible unless you go to the library or the book is delivered (or downloaded) to your home.
Same is valid for the files at the NAS. If you want to view or edit them at you PC you have to download them first.
Otherwise TC don't know what the content of the files are.
#5767 Personal license
Vit_Dram

Re: The NAS in totalcmd connected via FTP downloads all the files I was working with on the PC.

Post by *Vit_Dram »

Okay, thank you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you can access the NAS via Windows file sharing (SMB), you can open the files directly on the NAS - because then the editor will do the downloading, not Total Commander. This is possible because Windows file sharing makes the files accessible to all programs, while FTP is limited to the program which makes the connection.

Windows file sharing isn't possible directly over the internet, you will need a VPN (virtual private network) to connect to your home network to see its network connections.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com