Improvement for in-place editing of file names (keep the position of the cursor)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Improvement for in-place editing of file names (keep the position of the cursor)

Post by *funkymonk »

First, in-place renaming (cm_RenameOnly / Shift+F6) is a very useful feature for me.
And the opportunity to simply switch to the next/prev file via the up/down keys is also great.

However, here is the point that hits me almost daily:

Assume there is a bunch of file with a certain filename structure:

Code: Select all

2022-12-02 - Logfile 1 - Server - Description.txt
2022-12-02 - Logfile 2 - Server - Description.txt
2022-12-02 - Logfile 3 - Server - Description.txt
Let’s further assume we want to change the word “Server” for every file.
  1. Starting with Logfile 1, we activate in-place renaming and change "Server" into "Whatever".
  2. When pressing the down arrow, in-place editing switches to Logfile 2 (great!) *BUT* it selects the entire file name (bad!).
    This way, we have to navigate to "Server" again – which is especially annoying for long file names.
My suggestion: When pressing Ctrl+Up/Down, just keep the position of the cursor where it was before. If the cursor was at char position x, just keep it at x.
This would make navigation in the file names faster and in-place editing way more convenient…

Any opinion on that?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Improvement for in-place editing of file names

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

funkymonk wrote: 2022-12-03, 08:55 UTC First, in-place renaming (cm_RenameOnly / Shift+F6) is a very useful feature for me.
And the opportunity to simply switch to the next/prev file via the up/down keys is also great.

However, here is the point that hits me almost daily:

Assume there is a bunch of file with a certain filename structure:

Code: Select all

2022-12-02 - Logfile 1 - Server - Description.txt
2022-12-02 - Logfile 2 - Server - Description.txt
2022-12-02 - Logfile 3 - Server - Description.txt
Let’s further assume we want to change the word “Server” for every file.
  1. Starting with Logfile 1, we activate in-place renaming and change "Server" into "Whatever".
  2. When pressing the down arrow, in-place editing switches to Logfile 2 (great!) *BUT* it selects the entire file name (bad!).
    This way, we have to navigate to "Server" again – which is especially annoying for long file names.
My suggestion: When pressing Ctrl+Up/Down, just keep the position of the cursor where it was before. If the cursor was at char position x, just keep it at x.
This would make navigation in the file names faster and in-place editing way more convenient…

Any opinion on that?
(for such a thing the multirename tool (CTRL+M) is better. there you would just enter search: Server, replace: whatever)
apart from that support++
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

funkymonk,
I can imagine it would be useful to me in other cases as well. Support++.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

Support++.
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2022-12-03, 13:07 UTC
(for such a thing the multirename tool (CTRL+M) is better. there you would just enter search: Server, replace: whatever)
apart from that support++
That is not what I meant. "Whatever" is just a placeholder for different strings. Thus, the multirename tool (CTRL+M) is not suitable.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Just open your favorite text editor from MRT and do all the changes there, if the 'whatever' string is different for each file.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

funkymonk wrote: 2022-12-04, 13:40 UTCThus, the multirename tool (CTRL+M) is not suitable.
Why not use ranges? [N1,25]Whatever[N32,] in this case.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Fla$her wrote: 2022-12-06, 02:56 UTC
funkymonk wrote: 2022-12-04, 13:40 UTCThus, the multirename tool (CTRL+M) is not suitable.
Why not use ranges? [N1,25]Whatever[N32,] in this case.
The lengths of the strings to be replaced or that will replace are not always the same. Thus, constant char positions in MRT are not helpful.
True, that was not visible in the original example -- sorry, I wanted to keep it simple.

Anyways: It would be great to keep the cursor at the same position where it was on the file before, just to avoid manual seeking through the entire file name. That would really help, especially for long filenames.

Thus: Up/Down would behave as before but Ctrl+Up/Down would keep the cursor at the same position.
georgeb

Re: Improvement for in-place editing of file names (keep the position of the cursor)

Post by *georgeb »

Support +
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Improvement for in-place editing of file names (keep the position of the cursor)

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why not use the menu button - edit names in the multi-rename tool? This gives you the full power of a text editor of your choice. Just make sure to not insert or delete any lines.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-01-03, 09:51 UTC Why not use the menu button - edit names in the multi-rename tool? This gives you the full power of a text editor of your choice.
I use the editor option every now and then when renaming a bigger number of files. However, in most cases i just have to rename 2, 3, 4 or maybe 5 files. Then, the option with the editor is simply overkill and does not mean any speed up.

I'm contrast, the suggested feature (Ctrl+up/down in inline renaming) would certainly mean a speed up (to me at least).

I would really appreciate this feature as I miss it very often, i.e. every second day. Thank you in advance.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-01-03, 09:51 UTC Why not use the menu button
Why isn't this menu available as a standard context menu? There should work both right mouse click (on the file list) and "Context menu" key there.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not a "per file" option, so it's not shown as a context menu for individual files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Context menu in general is NOT limited to per file options only. Right click any TC panel and you will see "Search...” in the context menu. Right click free space and you will see different set of context menu options (also with "Search..." present).
MRT ignores these possibilities and shows nothing in such cases:
- when nothing is selected on the list (open MRT and simply right click any line on the list);
- when you right click the free space below the directory/file list.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2022-12-03, 13:07 UTC(for such a thing the multirename tool (CTRL+M) is better. there you would just enter search: Server, replace: whatever)
That!
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2022-12-03, 13:07 UTCapart from that support++
And that too!
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.