synchronize: replace window shown not at the end but during copying

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oko

synchronize: replace window shown not at the end but during copying

Post by *oko »

Synchronize
When copying, Replace window is not shown at the end, as it is standard by copying to not pause copying by waiting on user answer. Could it be improved that way?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: synchronize: replace window shown not at the end but during copying

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It wouldn't really be helpful because sync is actually two separate operations, left to right and right to left. In some cases like when synchronizing with an archive the order can't be changed: the unpack operation must be before the pack operation because the latter changes the offsets of the files inside the archive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
oko

Re: synchronize: replace window shown not at the end but during copying

Post by *oko »

Ok, some situations do not allow cueing of conflict files at the end of process. But if it could be possible the other situations could function with cueing. If it is not possible, another way is: Before synchronizing TC knows, which files are going to be replaced, so they could be copied first, so pause would occure in the beginning and user could answer Replace to all and copying could run till the end.
As regards zip, if synchronizing in zip, there would be not cueing. But if not in zip, zips are processed as files (without unpacking), so cueing at the end would be realised.
For me it would be helpful, I mostly do not use specific situations you mentioned. In my case right-to-left is deletion, but left-to-right runs long time and if I go away and come after 30 mins, I find out that 25 mins nothing runs, only waiting for my answer :)