User define suffix upon file copy&paste (ctrl-c followed by ctrl-V)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

phunsoft

User define suffix upon file copy&paste (ctrl-c followed by ctrl-V)

Post by *phunsoft »

Hi
I very often make backup copies of files, I'm working on. Firstly, to be able to go back in case the program has corrupted the file (MS-Word used to be able to do that on large documents), and secondly to be able to go back in case I have screwed up.

I create those backup copied in two steps:
1. In TC (or any other file manager), select the file, CTRL-C, CTRL-V
2. Rename the copy replacing the suffix added by the file manager (e.g. " - Kopie" in German Windows) with the text "_yyyymmdd_hhmm", where date and time are taken from the "last accessed" date and time of the file.

Others may use different schema to rename.

I would find it very usefull, if TC had an option to tell it how the suffix added to the file name of the copy looks like. I'm thinking of some of the very useful options TC offers with its mass-renam dialog.

Opinions?

Regards
Peter
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: User define suffix upon file copy&paste (ctrl-c followed by ctrl-V)

Post by *Dalai »

TC doesn't do any copying when Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V is used; TC tells Explorer (the shell) to do the copying. Furthermore, English Windows systems don't add a suffix but a prefix, i.e. "Copy of <original filename>". Other languages might do something similar. In other words, it wouldn't help if users could define a custom suffix in TC.

You might want to define some pattern in MRT (multi-rename tool) that renames the file the way you want, maybe a rename mask like

Code: Select all

[N1--9]_[YMD]_[hms]
if you want to delete " - Kopie" and add a date and time.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror