Replace Lister on Search & Synchronize

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Galizza

Replace Lister on Search & Synchronize

Post by *Galizza »

Edited: I forgot to mention on this first post that i have configured F3 as the default hotkey for the external viewer

Hi, after searching or synchronizing dirs we can press  F3  to view current file, but this is done always with Lister.

What i'd like to suggest is to be able to use the program that we have assigned inside Wincmd.ini [Extensions] section.

I know that this is not the best solution for all cases, but an entry in Wincmd.ini could be created so only allowed files types will be open with programs assigned on [Extensions] .

For example like we have

ThumbIrfXnTypes=*.BMP *.GIF *.JPG *.JPEG *.PNG

We could have

SearchExternalViewer=*.AHK *.XLS
SynchronizeExternalViewer=*.AHK *.XLS

Last edited by Galizza on 2023-02-05, 11:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Replace Lister on Search & Synchronize

Post by *petermad »

2Galizza
in the Search dialog you can right-click on the file to get the context menu for the file, where you can always open the file in it's associated program (both Windows and/or TC association) by clicking on the file name entry (often shown in bold)

In the Synchronize dialog you can highligt the file and then press Alt+ArrowDown for files on the left side and Alt+Shift+ArrowDown for files on the right side, to open the file's context menu. Or just right-click on the file and choose, "Left context menu" or "Right context menu".

If you Install an Edit Extension Menu like "F4 menu" <https://totalcmd.net/plugring/F4Menu.html> and set up the programs you want to use for the extensions you like, then you can just press F4 in the Search dialog or F4/Shift+F4 in the Synchronize dialog to open the highlighted file.
Last edited by petermad on 2023-02-05, 09:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

2petermad

Hi, i know about these possibilites, but context menu is much slower than just press F3 and i have F4 already assigned to several editors using F4Menu.
I just like Tc to behave inside Search&Synchronize as on normal mode, and be able to open files as fast as possible with the read only viewer of my choice when pressing F3.
Or at least receive %P%N value of the highlighted file so Autohotkey can be used to launch user assigned viewer when F3 is pressed.

Thank you very much for your help and for your work on Extended Menus :!: :!:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Galizza
I just like Tc to behave inside Search&Synchronize as on normal mode
But F3 does just that - opens Lister in the same mode as it would do if you pressed F3 in the mormal file panel.

You can edit which Lister viewer you prefer for each file type via Lister's "Options" -> "Configure" -> "Multimedia" (tab) -> "Define viewmodes by file type" (button)

and be able to open files as fast as possible with the read only viewer of my choice when pressing F3.
AHA! - It occurs to me that you have configured F3 as the default hotkey for the External viever (and not for the Internal viewer which is the default).

You are right, in that case one would expect TC also to use the External viewer when pressing F3 in the Synchronize directories and the Find Files dialogs.

Also if the External viewer is set to Alt+F3 (default), it would be nice if Alt+F3 (and Shift+Alt+F3) would also work in the Synchronize directories and the Find Files dialogs.

So:
Support++ for making the setting of the action for the F3 key also apply to the Synchronize directories and the Find Files dialogs.
Support++ for making Alt+F3 (Shift+Alt+F3) also work in the Synchronize directories and the Find Files dialogs.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

2petermad
and be able to open files as fast as possible with the read only viewer of my choice when pressing F3.
AHA! - It occurs to me that you have configured F3 as the default hotkey for the External viever (and not for the Internal viewer which is the default).
You are right F3 is the default hotkey for the external viewers on my Wincmd.ini, sorry for don't explain myself better, best regards.