Opening files with tc doesn't adds them to recently used list

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

giallone

Opening files with tc doesn't adds them to recently used list

Post by *giallone »

Hello,
Since i updated to Windows 11 22H2, when i open any file (.psd, .png, .gif, .doc, etc) from inside total commander ( i tested with version 10 and version 10.52) they don't populate the "recently used" list of windows explorer and the associated program (photoshop, xnview, open office, etc).
IF, you open the file straight from windows explorer, they populate the recently used list both in explorer and associated program (right click on program icon in taskbar).

1. open any file, even better if you have the associated program added on your taskbar
2. check if this file is added in "recently used" in explorer or "right click" associated program icon on taskbar (will not be added)
3. open the same file from windows explorer and check if is added to "recently used" in explorer + associated program taskbar

It used to work perfeclty before Windows 11 22H2 update so is something that changed here, is like if windows doesn't recognize anymore that a file was opened since is opened using total commander.

Here is screenshot i did (photoshop example in this case) to show problem better:

Image: https://i.imgur.com/5zoM6s2.png

To have "681 shoes.psd" appear in "recent" list i had to open it using windows explorer, no way any used file will appear (also in explorer recent files) if is opened through Totacl commander

Sorry if this problem as already been reported

Moderator message from: white » 2023-02-27, 15:42 UTC

Changed topic title from all caps to normal capitalization.

Reminder:
Forum rules wrote: 2003-02-04, 10:40 UTC 9.) Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention.
giallone

Re: Opening files with tc doesn't adds them to recently used list

Post by *giallone »

Sorry for using all CAPS in the title, wasn't my intention to break rules =/

Addendum to the problem:
when you right click on an empty space in TC, the "new" dropdown list doesn't include some file types like .txt and others..
this behavior is not present in the desktop and explorer right click "new" dropdown menu
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This has been discussed before: It's not clear whether apps have to modify this list, some think that it's part of Explorer and should only show files opened with Explorer.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
giallone

Post by *giallone »

Ok,
Thank you for the answer =)