Create Data for Custom Columns

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Arvandor593

Create Data for Custom Columns

Post by *Arvandor593 »

If I add new custom columns, how can I create data for files and folders to sort those columns by?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Create Data for Custom Columns

Post by *Dalai »

Each custom column can be filled with data by pressing the [+] button and selecting at least one field from any installed plugin. There can be any number of fields per column, but adding more than one field makes sorting that column a challenge.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Arvandor593

Post by *Arvandor593 »

But I want to create a custom column with custom field with custom data. For example I have a set of files, and I wish to sort them by colours. If I create a custom column and field named colours, how could I give each file new data to sort them in that custom column - for example, how could I sort certain files by red, or blue, or pink, or whatever?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Do you already have a plugin with a field "colour"? If so, from where does it get this piece of information? If not, you could make use of file comments (Ctrl+Z in TC main window) and use the field

Code: Select all

[=tc.comment]
or a substring of this field

Code: Select all

[=tc.comment:15-20]
depending on where exactly in the file comment the information can be found. Note that only showing a substring doesn't sort by that substring; TC always sorts by the whole string/field.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

2Arvandor593

Custom columns do not allow users to enter values. Instead, they display different metadata or calculations that are already present in the file or filesystem.
Unfortunately, since TC does not support tagging, flagging, color marking or other ways to mark files, using the comments field is the only workaround, as explained by Dalai.