io operations appearance hints

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

xakepp35

io operations appearance hints

Post by *xakepp35 »

from programmer to programmer. ideas are:

1) to make any io operation (for example file copy or move) to perform like background (with non-modal window) by default. So i can start copy, then minimize copy window, then continue to work with TC.
There is no need to use application-modal copy window at all. (allp modal is when you cannot work with TC while copying files)

2) to use NORMAL INFORMATIVE window (non tinyest possible as it is for now:-)) which shows target, destination, long progress bars (may have dialog resize possibility?), data transfer speed, elapsed/estimated times. Display all of these fields, always. I have 1920*1080 monitor, there is NO need for tinyest possible window when it goes asyncrhronously(background copy mode) :-P

3) to have a possibility to control speed format (to set it dynamic k/m/G per second, or to set it for MiB/s ) instead of displaying sctrictly in KiB/s.

4) to have refresh rate(update rate) option, allowing to set 100ms gui update interval - for file copy dialog. I have powerful PC and modern video card! I like to look at instantly flashing file names, and precise, (almost) instant copy speed! Why not?

PS. (continuing 4)
5) also there is a semi-bug. When speed is too fast and/or time is too low - it does not display speed at all. For instance, it prevents me from measuring copy speed, when i copy 3 GiB from one RAM-drive to another, which takes about 3 seconds. Why not to display all the information all the time?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: io operations appearance hints

Post by *white »

xakepp35 wrote:1) to make any io operation (for example file copy or move) to perform like background (with non-modal window) by default. So i can start copy, then minimize copy window, then continue to work with TC.
There is no need to use application-modal copy window at all. (allp modal is when you cannot work with TC while copying files)
Do you know about:
TOTALCMD.CHM wrote:AlwaysCopyInBackground=0
1: Total Commander always copies in the background
2: Always use background transfer manager

AlwaysPackInBackground=0
1: zip in background
2: zip+external packers in background
3: like 2, but run external packers minimized
I would like to add another suggestion. How about making the copy window the same as the Background Transfer Manager. In other words, transform the Background Transfer Manager into a Transfer Manager which can be used in foreground and background and can switch to foreground and background.

It seems inefficient to have several kinds of transfer windows. Why not use always the same kind of window, the Transfer Manager.

This transfer window could also be used for downloading and uploading. Right now you cannot switch between foreground and background during uploading and downloading. You have to enable "Download in background" before downloading. This could be solved by using the proposed transfer window.
xakepp35

Post by *xakepp35 »

white wrote: AlwaysCopyInBackground=0
Thanks, this solves my first proposal. But can't figure out diffferences between AlwaysCopyInBackground=1 and AlwaysCopyInBackground=2
white wrote:How about making the copy window the same as the Background Transfer Manager. In other words, transform the Background Transfer Manager into a Transfer Manager which can be used in foreground and background and can switch to foreground and background.
yes, that is what was supposed by my second proposal: "2) NORMAL INFORMATIVE window", just sorry for my bad english :)

And i also had to mention enrty "1)".
My question is - why do you need Foreground mode at all?
Historical rudiment?
Having only background (asynchronous) transfer mode seems to be suffient!
Times of norton commander single tasking had gone.
jesped

Post by *jesped »

white wrote: 2013-11-27, 15:10 UTC Do you know about:
TOTALCMD.CHM wrote:AlwaysCopyInBackground=0
When I set AlwaysCopyInBackground=2 then my mouse drag & drop copy/move operations default to Foreground instead of Background or BTM... 😮

Is there a way to set TC so the mouse drag & drop copy/move operations *always* use the BTM?