Logging file deletions doesn't work?

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bxx

Logging file deletions doesn't work?

Post by *bxx »

I've noticed that if you enable logging (in options->log) and enable logging of file deletions, they still don't get logged. Everything else - moving files, renaming files, creating and even deleting folders - gets logged fine.
Am I missing something?

Recording of the behaviour (gif): https://imgur.com/a/wSpHLkc

I'm using Totalcmd version 10.52 on latest Windows 11 22h2.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Logging file deletions doesn't work?

Post by *Dalai »

Normally when deleting a file, TC will show a confirmation dialog. This is not the case in your video. This leads me to believe that you're not using the default delete method. Which delete method are you using?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm that deletion is not logged if "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Copy/Delete" -> "Use Explorer method (faster, cannot handle comments)" is enabled - which it not a surprise.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed if you delete via Explorer, TC will not know which files were actually deleted and which not (the Explorer method doesn't give any feedback).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

What about logging such files files as "passed for copying/deleting by Explorer"?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
bxx

Post by *bxx »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-02-09, 11:31 UTC Indeed if you delete via Explorer, TC will not know which files were actually deleted and which not (the Explorer method doesn't give any feedback).
Thanks for clarifying, switching TC to use its own deletion method does solve the issue. However maybe this quirk should be mentioned somewhere (it's neither in the UI nor in the help file).

edit: also I found this method to disable the annoying confirmation dialog when deleting, which is probably why I switched to the explorer method in the first place. Cool! :D