Exporting TotalCmd's DirMenu to "Direct Folders" by codesector

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fm-xvid

Exporting TotalCmd's DirMenu to "Direct Folders" by codesector

Post by *fm-xvid »

I am using complementary software called, "Direct Folders" which previously had integrated TotalCmd's DirMenu. However in the newer version (v4.1), this feature has been yet to be implemented.

Direct Folders uses a json file called "menu.json" to save all the folders.

Therefore, I am hoping to find any Direct Folders users who can help convert TotalCmd's DirMenu section to a json format so that it is compatible with the newer version.

Btw, I have redirected the [DirMenu] section to another file called 'hotlist.ini'.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Exporting TotalCmd's DirMenu to Direct Folders

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Why not switching to QAP (Quick Access PopUp)
Its free, has more functions then Direct folders and also supports the TC hotlist.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
fm-xvid

Re: Exporting TotalCmd's DirMenu to Direct Folders

Post by *fm-xvid »

I had given QAP a go previously but prefer Direct Folders.

I am trying out a few online 'ini to json' conversion sites to see if I can get a a proper json file.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Exporting TotalCmd's DirMenu to "Direct Folders" by codesector

Post by *solid »

+1 for QAP.

I still use Flashfolder solely for its support of TC's DirMenu and the convenience of accessing paths in open panels. Unfortunately its development is abandoned long time ago, so no new features. Fortunately works even in the latest Windows and has no bugs.
fm-xvid

Post by *fm-xvid »

solid wrote: 2023-02-18, 20:18 UTCI still use Flashfolder solely for its support of TC's DirMenu and the convenience of accessing paths in open panels. Unfortunately its development is abandoned long time ago, so no new features. Fortunately works even in the latest Windows and has no bugs.
Does Flashfolder work with if totalcmd's [DirMenu] section is redirected to another file?
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

fm-xvid wrote: 2023-03-06, 05:12 UTC
solid wrote: 2023-02-18, 20:18 UTCI still use Flashfolder solely for its support of TC's DirMenu and the convenience of accessing paths in open panels. Unfortunately its development is abandoned long time ago, so no new features. Fortunately works even in the latest Windows and has no bugs.
Does Flashfolder work with if totalcmd's [DirMenu] section is redirected to another file?
Unfortunately, not. However, FlashFolder reads the location of the wincmd.ini file from the registry key:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Ghisler\Total Commander\IniFileName
By changing this value or adding it if it doesn't exist to point to redirected ini section, it will work.

I'm not aware of consequences of changing this value in registry.
fm-xvid

Post by *fm-xvid »

solid wrote: 2023-03-07, 17:18 UTC Unfortunately, not. However, FlashFolder reads the location of the wincmd.ini file from the registry key:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Ghisler\Total Commander\IniFileName
By changing this value or adding it if it doesn't exist to point to redirected ini section, it will work.
Thanks for the reply.

However I do not use the registry for totalcmd, all my configs are contained within "C:\Totalcmd" and I am wary of tinkering with the registry lest the totalcmd configs are mixed up. Thanks for the info anyway.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

fm-xvid wrote: 2023-03-08, 01:42 UTC However I do not use the registry for totalcmd, all my configs are contained within "C:\Totalcmd" and I am wary of tinkering with the registry lest the totalcmd configs are mixed up. Thanks for the info anyway.
TC creates a few entries during installation, which FF uses to locate wincmd.ini. If you don't have any keys in the registry from TC, you can create one with the value of wincmd.ini to point to your redirected INI file. Creating this key will not cause any harm whatsoever.

It is the exactly same scenario I'm using, besides the redirection - manually creating the key, so FF can locate the INI file.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I don't understand what Direct Folders has as advantage compared to QAP.
QAP understands the redirection of the TC Dir menu and has much more functions.
Also its free and actively developed.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-03-09, 20:50 UTC I don't understand what Direct Folders has as advantage compared to QAP.
QAP understands the redirection of the TC Dir menu and has much more functions.
Also its free and actively developed.
I can't comment on Direct Folders as I haven't used it, but I can share why I prefer Flashfolder over QAP.

I've tried many similar utilities and while QAP may be the most powerful of them all, it seems to be geared towards File Explorer users. Additionally, it tries to be a launcher, clipboard enhancer, bookmark manager, etc.

Flashfolder is much faster than QAP - its menus open instantly and folders can be changed quickly with just one click, reducing the need for excessive clicking and navigation, which helps get the job done faster. Since I use TC for folder navigation, I find it sufficient to change and open folders in TC, use its dirmenu, or quickly switch to the last used folder. Flashfolder also resizes open/save/browse dialogs, ensuring they always open at the same size and position, regardless of the application, making my work more productive.

Although Flashfolder could benefit from some improvements, unfortunately, the project has been abandoned, and we're unlikely to see any further updates.