It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CiccioB

It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Post by *CiccioB »

Hello,
I have been a TC user for long time.
In this period I thought it was time to finally get a license.
However I have some suggestions that I think are valid for a refresh of the copy functionalities of the tool which are the things TC should be good in order to replace the same functionalities provided by the OS.

1. The copy panel (the one that opens when you press F5 or F6) needs to be really updated to 2000 (not to say 2020) standards. It is really something of the past with limited information and still stops working when dragged. Most of all, it lacks all copy information like speed and actual copy time which are the basic information that are useful while doing long copy session. Average copy speed would be a good addition as well.
A graph like the one provided by Win10 with the registered speed over time would be really nice to have. In particular the instant transfer speed should always be visible, not only seen at times when the file size allows it to appear. That would be good for network transfers that may have speed slowdown at times, but also for USB pens where the initial write speed (sustained by the OS/pen caches) is going to drop suddenly after a certain amount of data has been transferred.

I hope this suggestion will be accepted as it will make the tool more useful than the standard copy procedure provided by Win10 which, as said, shows more useful info and that can be used as a fallback in TC denying all the advantages of the copy functionalities.

CiccioB
jinsight

Re: It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Post by *jinsight »

Support ++
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: It's time for a new copy panel! Add information like speed, time, a graph...

Post by *Usher »

I would prefer using copy in background or Background Transfer Manager (F5+F2) rather than sitting and staring at the progress bar…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2CiccioB
What do you mean? The current speed and estimated time are always visible. What does stop working when dragged?
Other statistics visible in Explorer are nice to look at. And the speed graph can be useful when copying over network or unreliable media, like USB. But I use that only rarely.

2Usher
+1
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
CiccioB

Post by *CiccioB »

umbra wrote: 2021-01-29, 13:08 UTC 2CiccioB
What do you mean? The current speed and estimated time are always visible. What does stop working when dragged?
You probably have a different version of the tool or you dont' use the copy function as much as I do.
If you open a background copy window (F6) the speed is not shown but intermittently when the file size allow for cycling between filename->speed.
And you have probably never tried to move/resize that window while doing a long copy. The process just stops until you release the mouse button, clearly indicating that the window GUI handler and the actual copy functions are on the same thread.
Usher wrote: 2021-01-28, 21:47 UTC I would prefer using copy in background or Background Transfer Manager (F5+F2) rather than sitting and staring at the progress bar…
I would prefer having a graph showing the history of the copy process so that I do not have to stare at it to know where it had problem during copy session.
And that's mainly the background panel to have limited info more than the foreground blocking one, so this suggestions are to improve it, not to stay with the '90 panel with limited (let's say none) information that you are used to.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2CiccioB
You never mentioned the Background Transfer Manager (F5-F2 or F6-F2). Instead, you wrote "The copy panel (the one that opens when you press F5 or F6)". Hence, I thought you meant the normal copy window.
CiccioB wrote: 2021-01-31, 00:06 UTC And you have probably never tried to move/resize that window while doing a long copy. The process just stops until you release the mouse button, clearly indicating that the window GUI handler and the actual copy functions are on the same thread.
Interesting. You are right. I never noticed that because I never move the window(s) - they are usually hidden behind other windows anyway.
And it seems to be a pretty old issue:
WatchUer wrote: 2003-11-20, 18:35 UTC And another annoying thing is that when I dragging the BTM to some position, the BTM stop transfering until I release the mouse button.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I see that you have problems with exact describing of your needs. What data in which copy window are missing? Maybe you should do some manual changes in wincmd.ini - they are described in TC Help.
CiccioB wrote: 2021-01-31, 00:06 UTC I would prefer having a graph showing the history of the copy process so that I do not have to stare at it to know where it had problem during copy session.
Do you also have problems with logging? Look at options in Configuration | Log file, please.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
CiccioB

Post by *CiccioB »

Usher wrote: 2021-01-31, 02:57 UTC I see that you have problems with exact describing of your needs. What data in which copy window are missing? Maybe you should do some manual changes in wincmd.ini - they are described in TC Help.
CiccioB wrote: 2021-01-31, 00:06 UTC I would prefer having a graph showing the history of the copy process so that I do not have to stare at it to know where it had problem during copy session.
Do you also have problems with logging? Look at options in Configuration | Log file, please.
Usability my friend, usability. A word that geeks apparently do not know.
That's the simple reason I use TC instead of fiddling with the OS windows and sparate functionalities distributed in separate menus.
Using logs (that I have to search for) to see why and when and a copy process took too much (or is still in work after long time) time is simply, well, let's say it, STUPID, when you can have that information in a simple, easy to find (its already on the screen), look and understand graph.

Graphs and GUIs, two simple advancements that allowed us to (almost) forget command line interface and appreciate a tool like TC.

My 2 cents to the possible improvement of the tool.

CiccioB
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

I support 2CiccioB request.
Elapsed time is a information I miss a lot. Other proposed features are also handy.

TC's copy/move progress window was ahead of its time when introduced. Having filling progress bar for both current file and total files together with copy speed was great improvement over explorer's flying papers and blue squares. But that was years (decades?) ago and nowadays it is still the same.

There is quite a room for improvement, both in functionality and GUI.
jesped

Post by *jesped »

+1 for improving the copy/move window.
jcelle

Post by *jcelle »

-1 : the neat copy dialog is one of the reason to turn down native windows dialog boxes...
Just want to show that opinions might differ on such central topics...
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

+1 at least for showing transfer speed - very helpful if working with different network shares or external devices (phones, USB sticks etc.)
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=74588
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

Support++
deckard

Post by *deckard »

Agreed, a transfer speed history graph (like Windows built-in) would be neat!
Marc23

Post by *Marc23 »

It is important to know that in programming, anything that requires a user display slows down (sometimes considerably) the operations. The simple display of a progress bar or a percentage can sometimes doube the copy time. So displaying a graphic requires either using the windows API (so "externalizing" the copy function), or making an object just for that.

TC is above all appreciated for its performance (I have been using it for 20 years this year), so displaying pretty stuff, yes, but please let it remain optional option for the users.

I would like to have instead a "no progress display" option, just a window that shows the current jobs (copy/move) is in progress with the possibility to pause/resume/cancel for each job.

:wink: