Notification when both panes are equal

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zorg

Notification when both panes are equal

Post by *zorg »

[Cross-post from https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=428215]

I'd like to get notification when both panes are pointing to the same directory.

My first though was: a special background colour when that situation is encountered. EG, turn the background colour yellow when both panes are at the same directory.

Another approach might be a warn-on-delete-attempt when the path for both panes is the same, though that wouldn't capture some situations (eg user thinks panes are pointing to different dirs, and opens a file for editing, thinking the 'other' file will be unmodified).

The reason is: I recently deleted a file by mistake; I was moving many files around to a new location, and at one point, I deleted a file, not realizing my 'source' directory and 'destination' directory were the same. I had thought I was only deleting the file from the source. It wasn't a big problem, but I'd like to avoid it in the future.

The post linked above had a couple of helpful replies that suggest some ways to accomplish the warn-on-delete attempt, though imperfectly (virtual/symlinked folders having different paths but the same physical location, for example).

If there's some way of accomplishing the first approach through a plugin [or other] API, I'd be interested in that, as well.

Thanks!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Notification when both panes are equal

Post by *Fla$her »

zorg wrote: 2023-03-15, 04:18 UTCAnother approach might be ...
Don't mix apples with oranges. It was necessary to request only a separate color when the paths match. The rest is superfluous.

Getting pop-up notifications when paths match after changing the directory is too redundant and will annoy many.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
zorg

Post by *zorg »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-03-15, 05:01 UTC Don't mix apples with oranges. It was necessary to request only a separate color when the paths match. The rest is superfluous.
I think both were necessary as both are valid solutions to the problem I had. I leave it to others to decide what goes in the main program.
Fla$her wrote: 2023-03-15, 05:01 UTC Getting pop-up notifications when paths match after changing the directory is too redundant and will annoy many.
There was no suggestion to have a popup notification every time the paths match after changing directories. Your reply to the other thread made it seem as if this was clear.

It may be easier to just figure out something for my local installation. Feel free to delete this thread if appropriate.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

zorg wrote: 2023-03-15, 05:52 UTCI think both were necessary as both are valid solutions to the problem I had.
If there is a different background, there is no need to supplement the obvious identification with confirmation windows. Moreover, in addition to deleting, there are enough other operations where it would be useful (copying, packaging etc).
The more redundant the request, the more difficult it's to evaluate and support it, especially for the author of the program.
zorg wrote: 2023-03-15, 05:52 UTC There was no suggestion to have a popup notification every time the paths match after changing directories. Your reply to the other thread made it seem as if this was clear.
My answer only concerned the request for deletion. And you wrote quite unambiguously:
zorg wrote: 2023-03-15, 04:18 UTCI'd like to get notification when both panes are pointing to the same directory.
A notification is usually understood as window messages, otherwise it could be called an indicator (color, icon, text of the window component like background, title, status bar etc).
Overquoting is evil! 👎