Copying back to DropBox hangs

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hkeown

Copying back to DropBox hangs

Post by *hkeown »

Good day,

I have the latest version of TC + Totaldrip installed on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G.

The "copying" of the pdf back to DropBox randomly hangs.

Pressing Cancel doesn't help.

Is there a log file that can point to the cause of the random hanging.

With best regards
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Copying back to DropBox hangs

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can create a log file via main menu - Configure. But I doubt that hangs will be written there.
Normally this happens when the system unloads the app to save battery. You can try to disable battery optimizations for Totaldrip.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hkeown

Post by *hkeown »

You are correct, the "hangs" don't reflect in the log file, nor are there any error messages.

The laptop, an HP X360 with Windows 11 (latest patches etc), is always plugged in when it hangs.

Is there anything I can check/debug? I use TC as a vital tool to open pdf files from Dropbox and then edit the pdf's using EZPdf on my Samsung tablet.

I also noticed that the File "Move" function doesn't actually move the file.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I need some way to reproduce it. How are you changing the PDF files that TC wants to re-upload them? It should not re-upload files which were unchanged.
hkeown

Post by *hkeown »

I use your TC as the interface between Dropbox and ezPdf. Opening the pdf from either DB or from the PDF Editor (I've tried several) always creates problems, like annotations are not saved, pdf file is saved in a different location etc etc.

So on the Android Samsung Tablet, TC + Totaldrip connect to DB.
- I use the TC interface to open the pdf.
- PDF opens in ezPDF
- I annote, save etc
- When I close ezPDF, TC requests to upload to DB so that changes are saved back
- At this point % progress dialogue opens to show progress - it is at this point that the random hanging takes place.

The workaround is to disconnect WiFi, disconnect Totaldrip, reconnect WiFi + Totaldrip, Move the file from TC Temp folder back to DB

As mentioned, the TC Move function doesn't actually move the file.

hope this helps!

BTW, TC is the only mechanism that I've been able to find that works reliably with DB + PDF annotator.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, I see! It sounds like when you open the file in ezPDF, TC goes to the background and either gets unloaded or the connection is dropped. Then when you return to TC, the connection is gone and the upload fails.
On some phones, you may be able to prevent that by excluding both Total Commander and the TotalDrip plugin from power saving options. This should be somewhere in Android settings, either under Apps or Battery.
I will try to reproduce this scenario - normally the plugin should reconnect when the connection is gone.