TC10.52: Selecting files down, randomly speeds up scrolling

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC10.52: Selecting files down, randomly speeds up scrolling

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm not asking you to use the Luna theme, I'm just trying to find a way to reproduce the error, so I can fix it. That's why it would be extremely helpful if you could use the Luna theme for a few hours to check whether the problem happens with that too, or not. You write that it's random, so just switching to Luna when it happens will not give you any clues unless it does happen with Luna too.

Btw, you can switch the Luna theme from blue to silver, I think it looks much better that way.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Rekrul
I'm not going to be using the XP theme.
It was only for diagnostic purposes. to see if the bug occurred when not using the classic theme for a little while. Since you frequently experience the problem, it would not be for long, that you would have to endure using the non-Classic theme.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

I understand that it's a diagnostic step, but since the bug seems completely random, I can sometimes go days without seeing it.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Rekrul
I can sometimes go days without seeing it
OK - I thought it was on a dayly basis you had the problem.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
If you move the mouse cursor left and right on the last element of the list, the acceleration is reproduced stably, which is not the case if you do the same over the status bar. But for some reason I always considered it a feature, not a bug.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, when you move the mouse cursor TC adds a bit of extra speed.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Maybe this explains everything, i.e. a person has a very sensitive mouse with a high DPI?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-03-22, 12:10 UTC Maybe this explains everything, i.e. a person has a very sensitive mouse with a high DPI?
Unfortunately, no, the bug is different.

Normally, when you hold the right mouse button down and move to the last line of the display, it scrolls the display up one line and stops. It only continues scrolling if you move the mouse (side to side works), or if you move the mouse below the bottom of the window. Moving just below the bottom of the window scrolls at normal speed and moving further down scrolls at a faster rate.

When the bug happens, as soon as the mouse reaches the last line of the window, it starts scrolling rapidly, and continues scrolling until it hits the bottom of the directory, or until you move the mouse up away from the bottom of the window. This scrolling speed is considerably greater than even the fastest speed that TC normally produces.

As for themes and such...

I've been playing around with the themes and have come away even more confused than I was. If I select Windows XP as the theme, Windows XP as the style and try to change the colors to match my old colors, I get this mess;

[img]https://i.ibb.co/C8zwkPx/capture-001-24032023-123403.png[/img]

How do you actually change the colors in a theme, if Windows won't let you change them? In other words, how do people create custom themes and change all the colors if you can't do it through Windows?

EDIT:

There are two different XP/Classic options that affect the appearance. Under Themes, there's Windows XP and Windows Classic, then under Appearance, there's XP Style and Classic Style. I notice that even if I select Classic under the style option, it still says Windows XP (Modified) under the Theme selector.

I don't suppose that's enough to properly test? I assume it actually has to be XP style and one of three built-in Microsoft color schemes?
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

I just asked my friend about the theme on his Windows 10 laptop, and he says that the only thing he's changed is the desktop wallpaper. He doesn't use a Windows classic theme, or anything else. Even so, he said the bug happened to him earlier this morning.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce this bug, so I couldn't fix it in TC 11, sorry. :(