TC 11.00b1: non-smooth repaint when moving out of the screen

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

TC 11.00b1: non-smooth repaint when moving out of the screen

Post by *Slavic »

This bug (issue) was noticed in previous TC 10.52, now it is seen very clearly.
When we move TC partially beyond the desktop, hiding some part of its main window, and then moving main window back, it moves very non-smoothly, marker is blinking and it looks like repaint of whole window takes significant time. Lister, on the other side, is free of this bug.

1. Open TC window, for example, to 2/3 desktop size. Then move it to left or right, dragging the window title by mouse, so about a half of window will be beyond the desktop.
2. Move the TC back. Repaint of window is performing quite slowly, it looks like a "tremor". Marker is significantly blinking during the process.
3. Move the TC to screen bottom the same way and return it back. The problem with repainting is much less noticeable.
4. When a whole TC window is moved within desktop, repaint is not used and moving is very smooth as expected.

P.S. In theory, the problem may be (but quite unlikely) linked to video adapter or driver, here is GeForce GTX 1650 Ti.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC 11.00b1: non-smooth repaint when moving out of the screen

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe my PC is too fast, but I don't see any such effect on Windows 11.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Slavic

Re: TC 11.00b1: non-smooth repaint when moving out of the screen

Post by *Slavic »

I can agree, my laptop may be not fast enough from current standards (CPU Ryzen 5 4600).
Some tests show that the problem is more serious when the list with marker is full and is moved horizontally from outside the desktop to central part.

For example, we can open C:\Windows (a lot of file items) on the left TC panel, move marker to this panel, move TC window to left out of desktop, so the left part is hidden, then move it back to right. Marker blinking and "trilling" in this case is very noticeable here. However, if the panel doesn't have the marker and is almost empty (has only ".."), then repaint is going very fast.
Maybe this helps.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5