[TC 11.00b1] History entries not deleted if save history on exit is disabled

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.00b1] History entries not deleted if save history on exit is disabled

Post by *petermad »

If "Options" -> "Operation" -> "Save on exit" -> "Directory history" is disabled and I delete (all) Entries in the History window with Shift+DEL, then those entries reappear, when I restart TC. I have to use cm_ConfigSaveDirHistory to have the history updated.

Expected behavior would be that the deleted entries are automatically removed from the [RightHistory] and [LeftHistory] sections of wincmd.ini

Entries that are deleted from the "most frequently used directories" part of the list, are automatically deleted from the tcDirFrq.txt file - as expected.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 11.00b1] History entries not deleted if save history on exit is disabled

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is not a bug. When you disable the saving of directory history, TC will re-use the last saved history. This way you can choose whether you don't want any history or want to always start with the same history.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b1] History entries not deleted if save history on exit is disabled

Post by *petermad »

My guess is that many users will think that when they delete a bunch of history entries, they'll be gone for good - and then be surprised to see the history items again, next time they start TC - but on the other hand: most users will probably have "Save on exit -> Directory history" enabled, hence not have the problem.

Maybe an ini-setting for alvays removing history items from the ini file when deleting them from list (DeleteHistory=1)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar