[TC 11.00b1] In-place rename Ctrl+Left/Right behaviour [solved]

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.00b1] In-place rename Ctrl+Left/Right behaviour [solved]

Post by *deus-ex »

Code: Select all

03.04.23 Added: In place rename, command line: Stop at more non-alphanumeric characters on Ctrl+Left/Right: \/(),.;=''^+-%&!_[ ]{} (32/64)
  • Press [predefined shortcut key] on a file to activate in-place rename = the entire filename is highlighted
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift and press the left-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the left.
    This doesn't work in TC 11.00 b1, but works in previous releases like TC 10.52.
To get this to work in TC 11.00 b1 you will have to:
  • Press [predefined shortcut key] on a file to activate in-place rename = the entire filename is highlighted
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift, press and release the right-arrow, then press left-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the left.

There is a similar issue attempting to decrease the highlighted selection to the right:
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift and press the right-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the right.
    This doesn't work as expected in TC 11.00 b1, previous releases of TC don't support this at all.
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift, press and release the left-arrow, then press right-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the right.
EDIT: replaced "F2" with "[predefined shortcut key]"
Last edited by deus-ex on 2023-05-13, 09:48 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b1] In-place rename Ctrl+Left/Right behaviour

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

deus-ex wrote: 2023-05-12, 15:26 UTC

03.04.23 Added: In place rename, command line: Stop at more non-alphanumeric characters on Ctrl+Left/Right: \/(),.;=''^+-%&!_[ ]{} (32/64)
  • Press F2 on a file to activate in-place rename = the entire filename is highlighted
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift and press the left-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the left.
    This doesn't work in TC 11.00 b1, but works in previous releases like TC 10.52.
This CANT work as F2 default behavior is -> Reread source window, SHIFT+F6 is default In place rename :D
deus-ex wrote: 2023-05-12, 15:26 UTC To get this to work in TC 11.00 b1 you will have to:
  • Press SHIFT+F6 on a file to activate in-place rename = the entire filename is highlighted
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift, press and release the right-arrow, then press left-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the left.
There is a similar issue attempting to decrease the highlighted selection to the right:
  • Press SHIFT+F6 on a file to activate in-place rename = the entire filename is highlighted
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift and press the right-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the right.
    This doesn't work as expected in TC 11.00 b1, previous releases of TC don't support this at all.
  • Now hold down Ctrl+Shift, press and release the left-arrow, then press right-arrow to decrease the highlighted selection to the right.
The bolded statement is ALSO wrong when RenameSelOnlyName=1 then only the name is selected without the extension.

BETA 2 behaviour: (Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right is the same as Shift+Left/Right)
1) Shift+F6 -> Shift+LEFT once so you can in/decrease the selection from the LEFT side with Shift+Left/Right
2) Shift+F6 -> Shift+RIGHT once so you can in/decrease the selection from the RIGHT side with Shift+Left/Right
Hoecker sie sind raus!
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Hi Sir_SiLvA, thanks for your input, much appreciated. :)
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-12, 18:35 UTC This CANT work as F2 default behavior is -> Reread source window, SHIFT+F6 is default In place rename :D
I replaced "F2" with "[predefined shortcut key]" in my previous post. I have predefined the function-key F2 as a shortcut for cm_RenameOnly and forgot that this differs from TCs default setup.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-12, 18:35 UTC The bolded statement is ALSO wrong when RenameSelOnlyName=1 then only the name is selected without the extension.
Yes, I'm referring to the default setting though to keep the bug description comprehensible.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-12, 18:35 UTC BETA 2 behaviour: (Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right is the same as Shift+Left/Right)
1) Shift+F6 -> Shift+LEFT once so you can in/decrease the selection from the LEFT side with Shift+Left/Right
2) Shift+F6 -> Shift+RIGHT once so you can in/decrease the selection from the RIGHT side with Shift+Left/Right
I find it unintuitive having to either press SHIFT+LEFT or SHIFT+RIGHT first to be able to then alter the selection in the opposite direction.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

deus-ex wrote: 2023-05-12, 21:39 UTC I find it unintuitive having to either press SHIFT+LEFT or SHIFT+RIGHT first to be able to then alter the selection in the opposite direction.
Sorry but for me it makes a lot of sense .
Hoecker sie sind raus!
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

The same problem and here: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=431118#p431118
2deus-ex
I find it unintuitive having to either press SHIFT+LEFT or SHIFT+RIGHT first to be able to then alter the selection in the opposite direction.
+++
#146217 personal license
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

@AntonyD

Thank you for your input. :)

Following the content you linked I eventually found this thread [TC 11.00b1]Cursor position wrong when renaming file. According to the information found there, the new in-place rename functionality cannot be altered to my liking, but at least I can revert it back to the state as found in TC v10.* and earlier. Just add the flag CtrlArrow=0 to the wincmd.ini, as shown in the example below.

wincmd.ini:

[Config]
CtrlArrow=0
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-13, 00:10 UTC
deus-ex wrote: 2023-05-12, 21:39 UTC I find it unintuitive having to either press SHIFT+LEFT or SHIFT+RIGHT first to be able to then alter the selection in the opposite direction.
Sorry but for me it makes a lot of sense .
No need to feel sorry, buddy, every user has their personal preferences. ;)