%COMMANDER_PATH% and cm_Copy*Path*/cm_CopyFullNamesToClip

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

%COMMANDER_PATH% and cm_Copy*Path*/cm_CopyFullNamesToClip

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

14 years ago in the history of TC:

Code: Select all

20.12.09 Added: When dragging file/dir to button bar, or adding dir to Ctrl+D menu, store all paths below Total Commander path as relative path with environment variable %COMMANDER_PATH%
My suggestion is - by default off, enabled through a wincmd.ini setting - that when in you are in or below TCs path cm_CopyFullNamesToClip,
cm_CopyPathOfFilesToClip, cm_CopySrcPathToClip and cm_CopyTrgPathToClip replace the TC path with %COMMANDER_PATH%.

Edith: [settings name] = 0 (off = default), 1 (replace with %Commander_Path%), 2 (replace with %Commander_Drive%)
Last edited by Sir_SiLvA on 2023-05-22, 10:15 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: %COMMANDER_PATH% and cm_Copy*Path*/cm_CopyFullNamesToClip

Post by *Fla$her »

This theme echoes this one to some extent.
Only here you can easily use replacement scripts, and not at all limited to just one environment variable.
Overquoting is evil! πŸ‘Ž
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 05:05 UTC This theme echoes this one to some extent.
Only here you can easily use replacement scripts, and not at all limited to just one environment variable.
PLEASE dont distract from MY suggestion by pointing to a thread that has NOTHING to do with my suggestion. Thanks You!
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:12 UTCNOTHING to do with my suggestion
It's not true. It has to do with the approach itself regarding environment variables. But for some reason you impose a single variable, although in general it is completely impractical. Logic should suggest that other variables should be supported, otherwise it doesn't make much sense to support such narrow specifics.

P. S.: And don't quote my posts in their entirety, PLEASE! Thanks!
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:48 UTC
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:12 UTCNOTHING to do with my suggestion
It's not true. It has to do with the approach itself regarding environment variables. But for some reason you impose a single variable, although in general it is completely impractical. Logic should suggest that other variables should be supported, otherwise it doesn't make much sense to support such narrow specifics.
P. S.: And don't quote my posts in their entirety, PLEASE! Thanks!
Dont rip my words out of context and half-post me THANK YOU! :evil:
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:48 UTC
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:12 UTCPLEASE dont distract from MY suggestion by pointing to a thread that has NOTHING to do with my suggestion
But for some reason you impose a single variable, although in general it is completely impractical.
Just because YOU dislike something does not make it impractical and if you dislike something I post then please restrain yourself from posting in my suggestion. THANK YOU.
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:48 UTC Logic should suggest that other variables should be supported, otherwise it doesn't make much sense to support such narrow specifics.
I DISAGREE. Contrary to LOCAL OTHER variables the %Commander_*% variables are ALLWAYS there and true after you start TC , no matter if I execute TC on Win9x, Win2000, Windows 11, *nix, MacOS or any other OS I can excute TC on.
So it makes 100% sense to use ONLY TCs own variables (2 in this case if you care to read my op)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 11:42 UTC Dont rip my words out of context and half-post me THANK YOU! :evil:
The answer relates directly to the quoted phrase, so there is no out-of-context. My answer when quoting the full sentence would remain the same.
Well, since you ignore my request, I will ignore your orders all the more.
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:48 UTCif you dislike something I post then please restrain yourself from posting in my suggestion. THANK YOU.
Practicality is considered here in the context of the general benefit. I don't care about the author of the request. I am considering only the offer, so please do not write to me about yourself. Thanks. )
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 10:48 UTCI DISAGREE. Contrary to LOCAL OTHER variables the %Commander_*% variables are ALLWAYS there and true after you start TC , no matter if I execute TC on Win9x, Win2000, Windows 11, *nix, MacOS or any other OS I can excute TC on.
So it makes 100% sense to use ONLY TCs own variables (2 in this case if you care to read my op)
The upper case speaks only about your tension and irritability. ) Take it easy. We are discussing usefulness and that's all. This is the discussion part.
Here we are already coming to the fact that there is not one variable, as in your header, but at least 4 (%COMMANDER_[DRIVE|PATH|INI|EXE]%). But why should we ignore the needs of users, most of whom work under Windows, in favor of some small minority who use TC under Wine (although many there will prefer DC)? In the TC settings, the following folders are also often used: UserProfile, Temp, AppData and LocalAppData. We also often give the paths with %WinDir%, %ComSpec%, %$Desktop%, %$Personal%, etc. in the button/em_ codes. I think it's wrong to ignore these things. Especially considering that it's not necessary to look for the name of specific variables, it is enough to use a common converter function for paths.

And when I write about this, I am considering my own experience of using a hotkey that calls the mentioned script, which has a public benefit. The specified restriction to one variable would definitely not suit me. Therefore, I suggest changing the request to increase the potential for support.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-05-23, 05:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 12:41 UTC Here we are already coming to the fact that there is not one variable, as in your header, but at least 4 (%COMMANDER_[DRIVE|PATH|INI|EXE]%).
Wrong! Thanks again for not reading my op which is about %COMMANDER_PATH% and mayhaps %COMMANDER_DRIVE%
(Using logic everyone can see that %COMMANDER_INI% and %COMMANDER_EXE% dont make any obvious sense in this context at all :roll: )
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 12:41 UTC ... some self-centered bias....
that has nothing to do with my suggestion at all, thank AGAIN for derailing my thread....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 13:40 UTC Wrong! Thanks again for not reading my op which is about %COMMANDER_PATH% and mayhaps %COMMANDER_DRIVE%
No. I wrote about the header (title). Don't confuse.
And I don't have to reread the first post several times. If you add something, then don't be lazy to mention it in a new post.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 13:40 UTC Using logic everyone can see that %COMMANDER_INI% and %COMMANDER_EXE% dont make any obvious sense in this context at all :roll:
It make. The context was as follows:
variables the %Commander_*% variables are ALWAYS there and true after you start TC
And it's not about your context, but what we can get right away when copying the paths we need.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 13:40 UTC
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-05-22, 12:41 UTC ... some self-centered bias....
that has nothing to do with my suggestion at all
Fake news. There is no such phrase in my post...

In general, my suggestion is to use a path converter with environment variables when specifying a parameter for all such commands.
Which parameter, let the author decide, given that there is already a suggestion to add a parameter for another option.