Help for "F5": there is information missing to be more clearly

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oko

Help for "F5": there is information missing to be more clearly

Post by *oko »

Help >> F5 copy says:
"
...The combobox offers all open tabs and target subdirs for choice.

With the button "+ F7" you can add the current target directory to the list (Alt+Down arrow) or remove it. You can also open the list of most frequently used directories (directory hotlist, bookmarks) to select a destination path.
"
1/ Please add info to help text:
1a/ there are 3 sections in F5 combobox (?, open tabs, target subdirs), what does the first section offer ?
1b/ what does "position=0/2" mean in +F7-Add current dir ?

2/ Please clarify commands in popup +F7:
- where will be added current dir by clicking +F7-Add current dir...? To disk? To directory hotlist? Confusing. "Add current dir" is used in dir hotlist, so it is unclear in +F7.
- where will be removed current dir from? From disk? Confusing.
Commands in +F7 popup could be renamed like this:
"Add current dir to combobox"
"Remove current dir from combobox"
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: F5 help info missing

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

oko wrote: 2023-05-23, 11:34 UTC 1a/ there are 3 sections in F5 combobox (?, open tabs, target subdirs), what does the first section offer ?
where do you see section ? :?:
oko wrote: 2023-05-23, 11:34 UTC 1b/ what does "position=0/2" mean in +F7-Add current dir ?
position 0 = the first entry in the dropdown list left of the +f7 button
oko wrote: 2023-05-23, 11:34 UTC 2/ Please clarify commands in popup +F7:
- where will be added current dir by clicking +F7-Add current dir...? To disk? To directory hotlist? Confusing. "Add current dir" is used in dir hotlist, so it is unclear in +F7.
- where will be removed current dir from? From disk? Confusing.
If its not obvious for you that +F7 adds/removes folders to the drowpdown left of the +F7 button you can always go ahead and make your own
english.lng for tc with a wording of your choosing :D
oko wrote: 2023-05-23, 11:34 UTC Commands in +F7 popup could be renamed like this:
"Add current dir to combobox"
"Remove current dir from combobox"
if you need help creating your own english.lng file feel free to ask!

HTH,
Hoecker sie sind raus!
oko

Re: Help for "F5": there is information missing to be more clearly

Post by *oko »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-23, 12:21 UTC where do you see section ? :?:
the items in combobox are segregated in 3 groups (separated by empty rows). TC help talks about 2 groups: open tabs and target subdirs. What is the third group (top items in combobox) ?
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-23, 12:21 UTC position 0 = the first entry in the dropdown
Ok and what is "position=1" or "position=2" ?
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-23, 12:21 UTC If its not obvious for you that +F7 adds/removes folders to the drowpdown left of the +F7 button you can always go ahead and make your own
If I use this commands rarely, in that moment it could be confusing when there is e.g. "remove current dir". So for comfortable work it is good to have clear names of commands. It is only my suggestion to improve help texts or command texts for everyone. I dont plan create own lng file or even make own tc software ;)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

the items in combobox are segregated in 3 groups (separated by empty rows). TC help talks about 2 groups: open tabs and target subdirs. What is the third group (top items in combobox) ?
Can you show in pictures - about that? I still does not observer any sections|groups...
#146217 personal license
oko

Post by *oko »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-05-23, 15:57 UTC Can you show in pictures - about that? I still does not observer any sections|groups...
Simply, items in combobox (dropdown list) are e.g.:
Item1
Item2
(empty row)
Item3
Item4
Item5
(empty row)
Item6
Item7

So Item 1+2 is first group (section), Item 3+4+5 is second group, etc. Groups are separated by empty rows.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

as AntonyD said please provide pictures, because
oko wrote: 2023-05-23, 15:47 UTC
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-23, 12:21 UTC where do you see section ? :?:
I dont have that I only have a list of folders there?
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-23, 12:21 UTC position 0 = the first entry in the dropdown
Ok and what is "position=1" or "position=2" ?
Position=x apears after you used that option the first, second, third, etc time
(when 0 is position 1, position=x is obviosuly position x+1)
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-23, 12:21 UTC If its not obvious for you that +F7 adds/removes folders to the drowpdown left of the +F7 button you can always go ahead and make your own
If I use this commands rarely, in that moment it could be confusing when there is e.g. "remove current dir".
So for comfortable work it is good to have clear names of commands.
It is only my suggestion to improve help texts or command texts for everyone. I dont plan create own lng file or even make own tc software ;)
no asked you to write your own tc (which is very complex) contrary to creating a *.lng file that makes tc more clear for you :D

it could be something like this:

Code: Select all

oko English
1147="&Remove current dir"
Save it as oko English.lng into your TCs Language folder and change &Remove current dir to your liking
BUT be aware that the same string 1147 is used for the directory hotlist dropdown (CTRL+D) also!
Hoecker sie sind raus!
oko

Post by *oko »

I have tested and I have understood.

(I talk about F5 dropdown list (Alt+down))

If you have not more open tabs in tc window, there is one continuous list of dirs. If you have more open tabs, two or three sections are in list. The sections are separated with one empty row.

First section
First item is current dir.
Below current dir there are dirs from open tabs in target window.
If there have been added dir by user (with +F7), between first item (current dir) and "open tabs" dirs there are the user added dirs and is separated with one empty row as separated section. (But this empty row is added after F5 dialog is reopen).

Second (third) section
First item is dir above current dir.
Below first item of this section are direct subdirs of current dir.

Example (you can see 3 sections of dirs listed):
-----dropdown list
C:\currentdir\*.*
C:\UserAddedDir1
C:\UserAddedDir2

C:\OpenTabInTarget1
C:\OpenTabInTarget2

C:\CurrentDir\..
C:\CurrentDir\Subdir1
C:\CurrentDir\Subdir2
-----end of dropdown list

In +F7 "Add current dir command (position=0)" adds dir at the top of user added dirs in list and "...position=2,3,4..." adds dir at the end of user added dirs.

And this information would be shortly added to tc help, as it is missing there. Without help I had to do some tests to understand of structure of dropdown list and commands in +F7 button to use it properly.
Last edited by oko on 2023-05-23, 19:25 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
oko

Post by *oko »

[/quote]
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-05-23, 16:21 UTC Save it as oko English.lng into your TCs Language folder and change &Remove current dir to your liking
I dont plan to change lng for texts I have mentioned here, but thank you for tip, maybe for other events it will be useful.
Now I know, what the "Add dir", "Remove dir" command does, but first time for me or maybe for someone else there could be fear of delete dir from disk. Therefore I suggested there could be rather "Add dir to dropdown" resp. "Remove dir from dropdown".
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2oko
please - PUT some pictures about this "your" variants of comboboxes.
We want to SEE - all this stuff. Not a textual description. Because for F5 I have for ex. opened dialog for COPY/MOVE process. not some combobox...
#146217 personal license
oko

Post by *oko »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-05-23, 18:23 UTC 2oko
We want to SEE - all this stuff. Not a textual description. Because for F5 I have for ex. opened dialog for COPY/MOVE process. not some combobox...
Sorry I dont know how to add picture. Push F5, dialog opens (not progress yet), where you have options to choose target, mask replace options etc, in the dialog first field is dropdown list (with path copy to). In this list, there are dirs listed. I talk about that. Maybe you have some setting to copy without that dialog?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-05-23, 18:23 UTC 2oko
unless you use pre v10.0 TC you have 2 comboxboxes on your screen after u press f5:
first combobox is the one with the target path, second one is the one for selecting which file types to copy.
(pre v10 its was one editbox for target path and one combobox for filetypes)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Sorry I dont know how to add picture
just upload on any simple image-hosting site and put the generated link here.
for ex. https://imgbb.com
#146217 personal license
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

you have 2 comboxboxes on your screen after u press f5
*after* - is the keyword)))
I read it as 'press F5 and some single only combobox will open instantly' ;))
ok, my miss...

Yep, confirm - I have 2 combos on this form 'COPY/MOVE'. And in the first of them I have 2 virtual 'sections of listed paths'.
Both of them are items which are explained in HELP: "The combobox offers all open tabs and target subdirs for choice."
And it is quite predictable that if I suddenly started using MY paths, which can be added via the F7 button / key on the form, then this would be the third group of paths. And yes, they would be logically separated by an empty string|row, which can also be selected now (but this, by the way, IMHO, is a bug. Since the separator should be only a visual element, and not selected / usable in the copy process)
#146217 personal license
oko

Post by *oko »

Commands to be more clear for user in F5 dialog +F7 popup items:
Add current dir (position=0) >> Add current dir to list (top of user added)
Add current dir (position=3) >> Add current dir to list (bottom of user added)
Remove current dir >> Remove current dir from list