Verify after copy is slow / not configurable

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Vulpix

Verify after copy is slow / not configurable

Post by *Vulpix »

Hello!

I'm using the "verify after copy" option. I found some threads about it here on the non-English forum and also a few on the English one but none with much traction.

Since Total Commander already supports a bunch of different checksum algorithms, would it be possible to make this "verify after copy" checksum algorithm configurable? I have a machine with 10GBit networking and a 4-disk Raid0 for data processing which easily reaches 1GB/s read/networking speeds. However when verification is ongoing, the speed is a measly ~200-240MB/s. If I use for example Blake3, I can easily reach that 1GB/s, so it would be enough if I could configure this verify-after-copy function to just use Blake3.

Please take this as a suggestion since it could potentially be easy to implement, given the fact such algorithm already exists in TC!

Thank you very much!
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Verify after copy is slow / not configurable

Post by *hi5 »

Seems to be on the roadmap
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-06-01, 16:08 UTC I plan to use blake3 for the verify option when copying, and for the duplicate file finder.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
Vulpix

Post by *Vulpix »

Oh that does sound great. The build with such option can't come soon enough! :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Verify isn't slow due to the checksum algorithm. It's slow because I disable the write cache for the verify step. There is no point in verifying through the cache, that could only find faulty RAM modules.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com