wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

TC's behavior when cancelling single-file move process

Post by *wanderer »

INI settings:
AlwaysCopyInBackground=2
XPMoveMethod=2

Move a file from panel 1 to panel 2 opens the BTM (Background Transfer Manager) window. In it, it sets a copyflags command, the "move file" command and at then end, copyflags 0. Now, if the file exists and you cancel the "move", BTM remains open with just the "copyflags 0" command.

Granted, this is a simple operation. In more complex ones, leaving the window open might have some point, however, why should TC have to stop there in such simple cases? If there is nothing else to do (and nothing has been done), why not cancel the "copyflags" process and just close the window? Since it knows if and how many files it has copied, can't TC decide whether to proceed and close the window? I would very much like to hear Christian's opinion on that.

The point is: Is there perhaps a set of simple cases, in which TC could safely just close BTM and cancel the rest of the entries in the list?

P.S.: Searching around a bit, i found this old thread (10 yrs old), which is somewhat related (talking about BTM)...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC's behavior when cancelling single-file move process

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

copyflags controlsthe user confirmation dialogs. copyflags 0 resets it back to zero, which means that you will be asked again whether you want to overwrite all files, or skip all, or overwrite all older, etc.

When you can the transfer in the background transfer manager, TC just cancels the current operation, but does not close the BTM. The idea is that there may be other operations on there which you may want o resume. TC doesn't check what's on the remaining lines, it just aborts the current operation and then pauses the BTM.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-30, 21:22 UTCTC doesn't check what's on the remaining lines, it just aborts the current operation and then pauses the BTM.
Well, that's what i'm talking about. It could perhaps do a quick check and if it finds that absolutely NO action has been actually done and whatever action existed in the queue was cancelled, it could just ignore the copyflags and close the BTM. In my case it was just one action (the "move" of a file), but there could have been i.e. 10 files and all of them could have been cancelled.

It seems like a relatively easy check (well, to me, you know better of course). If at least one file operation has been performed successfully, work as now (leave the BTM open). If NO action of the ones in the queue has been performed to a file and there are no remaining lines with file actions, close the BTM ignoring any copyflags lines.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will consider it. It always sounds easier than it is in the end.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-31, 12:25 UTCI will consider it.
Thank you.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-31, 12:25 UTCIt always sounds easier than it is in the end.
Yes, i know... :|
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯