Bug report via e-mail: New file when sorted by plugin field

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bug report via e-mail: New file when sorted by plugin field

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I received this bug report via e-mail and would like to get some feedback about the bugfix in Total Commander 11 RC3:
23.07.23 Fixed: Watch directory changes: When a new file was added, it wasn't inserted in the correct location when sorting by content plugin fields (32/64)
Prerequisites:
1. Configuration - Options - Refresh: "Auto-Refresh when the file system changes" must be enabled, at least the first of the options.
2. Create a custom columns view
3. Sort by a custom column other than size or time
The user used ShellDetails with field FolderPath in branch view.

Reproducing the bug:
Now when a new file is added from outside, e.g. a file is saved in Notepad in that directory, it wasn't sorted in the correct location. Now in RC3 i'm loading the plugin field when the file is reported to TC, so it can be sorted in correctly. Please note that files which are just being changed do not get re-sorted.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Bug report via e-mail: New file when sorted by plugin field

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm the problem in TC 11.00rc2.

It works in TC 11.00rc3 in for example Full View, but in Branch View it only works if the option Refresh -> "Put added files at the END of the list (default sorted)" is NOT enabled.

If "Put added files at the END of the list (default sorted)" IS enabled, then In Full View the file is put in its sorted place when TC receives focus after saving the file in Notepad, But in Branch View, the file never gets put in correct place.

But this behavior also applies if the sorting is not by a plugin field, but by for example Name - so it is more a problem with Branch view tha plugin field sorting.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It works in TC 11.00rc3 in for example Full View, but in Branch View it only works if the option Refresh -> "Put added files at the END of the list (default sorted)" is NOT enabled.
I cannot reproduce that. When I check "Put added files at the END of the list (default sorted)", the files are always added at the end, even in branch view. Can you give me more details by what field you are sorting? I tried with "Name" and [=shelldetails.folderpath] (translated from German, I don't know the exact English term).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I am sorting by [=shelldetails.folderpath] but it does not matter.
When I check "Put added files at the END of the list (default sorted)", the files are always added at the end, even in branch view.
Here too - it is what happens afterwards that is different. When TC get focus (after focus was on Notepad), the the added file is not put in its right place.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Set TC to Full View. Name sorting in both panels
  • Open the same folder, that has at least one subfolder with files in it, in both panels.
  • In the right panel press Ctrl+B.
  • Open Notepad, press Ctrl+S to save the file and save it to the folder in the left panel (the to level panel). Use a file name that will not be sorted at the end.
  • Without putting focus to TC you will see the new file in the bottom of both panels.
  • Put focus on TC - in the left panel the file is now put in place according to the sort order, in the right panel the file stays in the bottom.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, that's what you mean! That's intentional: Neither branch view nor search results are re-read when you switch away from TC and back. You can check this by disabling "Auto-Refresh when the file system changes" entirely - files will then never show up in branch view when created within the branch, neither when created inside nor outside of Total Commander. This is intentional, because re-reading branch view on each focus switch would be very slow with today's big volumes.

So can you confirm that the original bug has been fixed?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

So can you confirm that the original bug has been fixed?
Yes
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to fixed bugs