Optional fuzzy search * character in Tabs and History searches and command palette requests

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SuperTudorel

Optional fuzzy search * character in Tabs and History searches and command palette requests

Post by *SuperTudorel »

Hello Christian,

First of all, congrats for Total Commander, I'm using this since it was Windows Commander and I was a kid, more than 20 years ago, so practically
I grew up with your SW.

I'm trying the 11 RC3 and I love the fast search of open tabs and History, this is a game changer for me and I have 2 small requests.

1. Please, make the * character that enables fuzzy search optional. You already created the History page in Settings, just create a new option, something like: "[ ] Enable fuzzy search by default" and remove the need of entering * in front of every fuzzy search.

2. Please make a command palette style filed, activated via Ctrl + P, that does a fuzzy search both in opened tabs and in directory history. As a first step you could allow us at least to activate the History search via Ctrl + P, instead of Alt + Down.

This will make my life, and for sure others life, much easier as searching will be much much faster.

Thank you again for your great work!

P.S.
My younger colleagues, born after 2000 are absolutely baffled by TC and I love their reactions when I show them different tricks :D

Best regards,
Sebastian,
Timisoara, Romania
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Optional fuzzy search * character in Tabs and History searches and command palette requests

Post by *solid »

QuickSearch eXtended, (viewtopic.php?t=22592) is already capable of searching in history and most visited directories, as well as within tabs. It offers a wide range of advanced search options.
Does that work in your case?
SuperTudorel

Re: Optional fuzzy search * character in Tabs and History searches and command palette requests

Post by *SuperTudorel »

Thank you solid for the suggestion but it does not fulfill my expectations.

Expectation: press ALT + DOWIN, start typing (without leading "*") to do a "fuzzy" search over history.
Current implementation: press ALT + DOWN, type *, start typing to do a "fuzzy" search.
Current implementation using QuickSearch eXtended: press ALT + DOWIN, press CTRL + S, start typing...

As you can see the current implementation, with and without QuickSearch eXtended, requires yet another thing to press/type to get a fuzzy search, and this is what I'm trying to avoid.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

SuperTudorel wrote: 2023-07-30, 19:59 UTC Expectation: press ALT + DOWN, start typing (without leading "*") to do a "fuzzy" search over history.
Current implementation using QuickSearch eXtended: press ALT + DOWN, press CTRL + S, start typing...
Try -> press ALT+DOWN or ALT+SHIFT+DOWN, start typing...
- Menu "Help" > Keyboard > ALT+down: Open history list of already visited dirs (like the history list in a WWW browser)
- Menu "Help" > Keyboard > ALT+SHIFT+down: Open history list of already visited dirs without history thinning.

Within tabs: Start typing...
Ctrl+Shift+S: Shows the last used search term again.

This works here with "QuickSearch eXtended v2.3.1".

Ctrl+S in QuickSearch eXtended is rather used to
- change settings or add presets to them
- to narrow down the search query

"Fuzzy search" in QuickSearch eXtended:
Ctrl+S, Dropdown "Similarity search".
See: tcmatch_en.pdf - Page 2.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

SuperTudorel wrote: 2023-07-30, 19:59 UTC Thank you solid for the suggestion but it does not fulfill my expectations.

Expectation: press ALT + DOWIN, start typing (without leading "*") to do a "fuzzy" search over history.
Current implementation: press ALT + DOWN, type *, start typing to do a "fuzzy" search.
Current implementation using QuickSearch eXtended: press ALT + DOWIN, press CTRL + S, start typing...

As you can see the current implementation, with and without QuickSearch eXtended, requires yet another thing to press/type to get a fuzzy search, and this is what I'm trying to avoid.
With QSX, my implementation is: Alt+Down, start typing. It uses srch mode for searching.
Ctrl+S enables/disables filtering of the list, so it jumps to the matched lines or hides unmatched entries.
So it is possible what are you looking for, maybe you have to check TC quick search setting or the settings of QSX.
SuperTudorel

Post by *SuperTudorel »

Thank you all,QuickSearch eXtended does what I wanted.

But still would be really nice to have the Ctrl + P as shortcut to search trough history and tabs OR at least to have the option to change the Alt + Down to Ctrl + P.

Thank you again for the quick support!
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Just map cm_DirectoryHistory to Ctrl+p or whatever hotkey (or button) you like.