show full command line path on mouseover

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tdklaus

show full command line path on mouseover

Post by *tdklaus »

Currently, the path displayed to the left of the command line (by default, on the bottom, between F-Keys and panels) gets truncated if nested too deeply to fit into the overall TC window.

How about showing if fully on mouseover? Or is that already an option I just can't find where to activate?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: show full command line path on mouseover

Post by *Dalai »

There is no such option. However, the command line's path always is the current path of the active panel (left or right), so you can look at the path there. Sure, that can also be shown with an ellipsis.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
tdklaus

Post by *tdklaus »

Dalai wrote: 2023-09-15, 16:28 UTC There is no such option. However, the command line's path always is the current path of the active panel (left or right), so you can look at the path there.
i know, but that field is "at the other end of the screen" and also truncated for long paths. There, mouseover (by default) does not even fully expand the path name but shows a treemenu of the next few "upper" folders. This has it's own use and is fine, but no replacement for what I'm suggesting.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2tdklaus
For me, the addition is not so significant, but as an alternative, you may well use Textify (with the ability to auto-copy text to the clipboard).
Overquoting is evil! 👎
tdklaus

Post by *tdklaus »

Guess I'm still not making clear why I'd like such an extension on mouseover:
When having the mouse pointer and my focus around the command line, I'd like a quick way to just see the full path I'm currently in.

If I already intend to do anything more with that path, I'll send my mouse onto the long journey up to the buttonbar and click on cm_CopyFullNamesToClip and then paste it wherever I need it.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2tdklaus
It's clear what you suggested here. People are just making suggestions on how you can improve the situation right now, i.e. without waiting for a change in TC.

One thing to keep in mind is that tooltips also have limits - the screen width is the absolute limit ;).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

One thing to keep in mind is that tooltips also have limits - the screen width is the absolute limit .
That's right! But what I've been suggesting to the author for a long time and what is more than appropriate and necessary to bring into the current Total code is support (maybe even from third-party libraries that have been doing this kind of thing for a long time) for its own tooltip output! So that the shape of this tooltip can be changed, and use color selection of some parts of the displayed text, and that the tooltip can display pictures.

And then it would be very convenient to use it anywhere during output with any limit on characters.

That standard TToolTip object class, which is available in any Windows environment, has long since ceased to be completely convenient. Yes, at a time when file names and extensions were limited by the number of characters - yes, then a hint in the form of a straight piece of black text on a white background was more than enough. But now it’s a different century, different conditions. And these tips should become smarter and more user-friendly.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

One thing to keep in mind is that tooltips also have limits - the screen width is the absolute limit
Hmm, Tooltips for files and folders already wraps, both with spaces in the path and without spaces - See: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/tooltipwrapspaces.png and https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/tooltipwrapnospaces.png
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
tdklaus

Post by *tdklaus »

petermad wrote: 2023-09-21, 11:41 UTC Hmm, Tooltips for files and folders already wraps, both with spaces in the path and without spaces
So, the whole screen area becomes the next practical limit... Phew, good that I didn't suggest "infinite tooltips" 8)