File comparing over VPN speed up

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hlloyge

File comparing over VPN speed up

Post by *hlloyge »

Greetings, all!

I have an idea, but I don't know if it can be done.

I have two computers, one at home, one at work. on both of these I have one folder with tens of thousands of files which I synchronize once a week. What I do now is connect to work network via VPN, open work disk via admin share so the contents show in left panel, and in right panel I have local folder. Then I execute directory synchronization and after it finds differences, I sync the files.

But the initial file enumeration is very slow and it lasts for quite some time.

Can it be somehow sped up? I have "Everything" installed on both computers, and have an idea how it can be done; there could be an option for using Everything on both computers to enumerate files, and also an option for two Total Commander instances to communicate with each other, sharing what's on each other discs. That could be done via ssh connection between two TCs (which should both run on both computers, of course) and an option to generate ssh key to transfer to the other computer, so only them can communicate in that manner. So, my home computer would connect to running instance of other TC when doing sync (folder paths would need to be requested from that instance, obviously) and set destination folder with files in left window; local folder in right window, and then click on "remote sync" button (or something) would initialize remote TC to ask Everything info about that folder, all subfolders and files and transfer it to source computer. Meanwhile, right panel would enumerate files also via Everything if local, or in usual way if on local share or something.

Can it be done?

Is there software which already work this way? :)

EDIT: By done, I mean can that sort of function be added to synchronization function?