Hotlist issue with checked item

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Hotlist issue with checked item

Post by *wanderer »

Assume two entries in hotlist:

Entry A
Command : "Path A"
Target path : "Path B"

Entry B
Command : "Path A"
Target path : ""

I activate "Entry B", the path is set in the active panel. When i open the hotlist, it has "Entry A" selected, because it's above "Entry B". Since in the other panel, a random path is selected and not "Path B", "Entry B" should have been selected in the hotlist. If i manually go to "Path B" in the other panel, then "Entry A" should be selected.

In other words, the function that decides which item of the hotlist should be checked, should take into account not only the active path (defined in the "Command" field) but also the "Target path".
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Hotlist issue with checked item

Post by *JOUBE »

No, that's okay the way it is: the first hit _in the active panel_ is displayed, the other panel is irrelevant. Leave it as it is in the moment. Anything else would be too slow: The entire list would always have to be gone through (2000 max).
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Well, IMO the other panel is not irrelevant at all. In my case, it shows the wrong entry. I had clicked Entry B, not A, so B should have been checked.

As for the possible speed issue... Christian? Can you estimate the impact it might have if the Target path was also taken into account?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, this is intentional and will not be changed. Only the path in the active panel is relevant for the checkmark. You can still choose the same entry again to also set the path in the other panel.

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-29, 07:52 UTCSorry, this is intentional and will not be changed.
Ok Christian. I still believe the behavior is wrong, but if you say it will not be changed, you have your reasons. :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-29, 07:52 UTC Only the path in the active panel is relevant for the checkmark.
Then why do not all entries that match the active panel folder receive a checkmark?
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

At some point it becomes unnecessary... Ghisler(author) has - correctly - already decided appropriately. Calling something as wrong at this point is wrong.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-10-29, 20:15 UTCCalling something as wrong at this point is wrong.
Being a developer myself, i too have a little God complex sometimes (like many others), however that doesn't make me right all the time :). You say "Ghisler(author) has - correctly - already decided", i'm debating about the "correctly" part, saying "that's your opinion but i have a different one. I hadn't checked that entry. I had checked another entry AFTER it, why isn't that checked? Because part of the first one happens to match with the entry i had clicked on?".

My point is: no, i don't agree with Christian on this matter, but since he is the developer, he has a better opinion on what can be implemented, how much time it would require, how complex it might be and what possible problems may arise from it. All that give him the right to make a decision that we the users may not agree with. So, since i don't think the matter is so important to keep discussing it anyway, case closed. :)

P.S.: After all, Christian didn't say it was wrong, he just said "it's intentional and won't be changed". That's a different story. There may be many reasons for that, which i respect.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

white wrote: 2023-10-29, 18:11 UTCThen why do not all entries that match the active panel folder receive a checkmark?
Ha. Good question...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

wanderer wrote: 2023-10-27, 16:34 UTC In my case, it shows the wrong entry.
wanderer wrote: 2023-10-29, 17:00 UTC ... the behavior is wrong...
Both is wrong.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

white wrote: 2023-10-29, 18:11 UTC Then why do not all entries that match the active panel folder receive a checkmark?
Should all entries be deleted then, when you press Remove Directory? What's that supposed to mean? Completely ill-considered question... Maybe the reason is to want to turn something simple and good into something complicated and bad?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-10-29, 21:34 UTC
white wrote: 2023-10-29, 18:11 UTC Then why do not all entries that match the active panel folder receive a checkmark?
Should all entries be deleted then, when you press Remove Directory?
If it were to be supported that could be a possibility, but with a warning that multiple entries are about to be removed.
Another possibility would be to present a list of matching entries to choose from.
Another possibility would be to not give the "Remove current dir" option if multiple entries in the directory hotlist match with the current folder.
Why delete the first entry, which may be the wrong entry (the entry the user doesn't want to delete)?

I also question if TC should delete without warning entries that contain environment variables and thus are dynamic in nature.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

white wrote: 2023-10-29, 23:10 UTC
JOUBE wrote: 2023-10-29, 21:34 UTC
Should all entries be deleted then, when you press Remove Directory?
If it were to be supported that could be a possibility, but with a warning that multiple entries are about to be removed.
Another possibility would be to present a list of matching entries to choose from.
Another possibility would be to not give the "Remove current dir" option if multiple entries in the directory hotlist match with the current folder.
Why delete the first entry, which may be the wrong entry (the entry the user doesn't want to delete)?

I also question if TC should delete without warning entries that contain environment variables and thus are dynamic in nature.
Sorry, all completely unnecessary nonsense, because leave it as simple as it is.