Backspace doesn't open the drive list from the drive root

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Backspace doesn't open the drive list from the drive root

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

But pressing BackSpace does not go updir from the \\Dokumenter folder in this case which it should!
I see, that's unrelated to the cm_SyncChangeDir function: Backspace or clicking on the ".." button is ignored when the parent is the desktop. The reason seems to be that the "Network" virtual folder doesn't have an entry "..", and the parent would be the desktop. So the solution will be to check whether there is a ".." entry in the list when the parent is the desktop, and then allow to go up one level.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Fla$her wrote: But you write that this behavior with non-working Bakspace should be, but I write that not
Can you rephrase that sentence , please? - I cannot understand what you are writing here.

I wrote:
But pressing BackSpace does not go updir from the \\Dokumenter folder in this case which it should!
That is the same as saying that the non-working BackSpace should have worked - do you disagree in my statement, when I write it this way?

Just to make it clear: I think that in the Windows XP scenario I describe, BOTH pressing BackSpace AND Double-clicking on [..] should go updir in both file panels.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I see, that's unrelated to the cm_SyncChangeDir function: Backspace or clicking on the ".." button is ignored when the parent is the desktop
Can you explain why, in the described scenario with Windows XP, double-clicking on [..] is not ignored, but pressing BackSpace is?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I implemented this function for virtual folders, I want to make it identical to the behaviour of clicking on ".." in the list. In the folder "Network", there is not ".." entry. I assumed that this was because the parent is the desktop, so I disabled "backspace" when the parent is the desktop. But there are folders like the above mentioned which go up to the desktop and have a ".." entry. so I will have to use a different solution.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
What about the problem that the names of the virtual folders are often localized, so that they don't match the name of the physical folder. If I satrt up in such a pair of folders, and go into a subfolder that exist in both sides, then I cannot go updir again (without being suspended) with BackSpace or Double-click on [..] because the names of the parent folder does not match.

Example with Danish system locale:
Left side cd C:\Users\Public\
Right side cd ::{4336A54D-038B-4685-AB02-99BB52D3FB8B} -> \\Delte filer\ (\\Public\ with English locale)

Enable SyncChangeDir
Go into for example Documents (which exist on both sides): left side shows C:\Users\Public\Documents\, right side shows \\Delte dokumenter\, and I cannot go updir again without being suspended.

Another example with English locale:
Left side cd C:\Users\Public\
Right side cd ::{4336A54D-038B-4685-AB02-99BB52D3FB8B} -> \\Public\

Enable SyncChangeDir
Go into Documents: left side shows C:\Users\Public\Documents\, right side shows \\Public Documents\ and I cannot go updir again without being suspended.

And if I do go back to C:\Users\Public\Documents\ and \\Public\ (non-synched), the suspension oes not go away as expected, since I am back where I started
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no chance to handle that situation with localized virtual folders, sorry.
On Windows 11 it's even worse - when I go to the folder, it's shown as
\\Christian – Persönlich\
but on the desktop there is a subfolder named
"Dokumente". So even if you go up from that with cm_SyncChangeDir, you can't go back down because the name is now different.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem with going up from the user's document folder to the desktop with backspace should be fixed in RC6, please test it:
06.11.23 Fixed: Couldn't use backspace to go up one level to the desktop from virtual folder reached via cd ::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103} (32/64)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-11-06, 09:58 UTCCan you rephrase that sentence , please? - I cannot understand what you are writing here.
I don't know why you couldn't handle the phrase. In my opinion, it's lucidly written. Now it doesn't matter anymore, because there is a fix.

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-06, 13:27 UTCThere is no chance to handle that situation with localized virtual folders
You can check not only the local name, but also the title of the virtual folder. See .vbs:

Code: Select all

Set CDocs = CreateObject("Shell.Application").NameSpace(46)
MsgBox CDocs.Title  & ": " & CDocs.Self.Path, 262208
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2petermad
Can you confirm the change I documented in the history?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:06.11.23 Fixed: Couldn't use backspace to go up one level to the desktop from virtual folder reached via cd ::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103} (32/64)
Confirmed fixed in TC 11.02rc6 as long as the physical folder and the virtual folder has the same name.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great, thanks! I would prefer not to experiment with looking up names, this would lead to ambiguities when directories with both names (original and translated) exist in the same location.

Moderator message

Moved to fixed bugs