Option to differ overlay icons for *.url files and overlay icons for ntfs-links to these files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yanch

Option to differ overlay icons for *.url files and overlay icons for ntfs-links to these files

Post by *yanch »

I have plenty of url-files and often I create hard/soflinks for these files (work by this way due to some reasons). But they look visually absolutely identical in TC now. Yes, there are both links, but in fact, these items are absolutely different in purpose. Is there any way to differ them visually? Because sometimes it creates difficulties in manipulating of such files and hard/softlinks.

It will be OK for me even to hide "arrow" in overlay icon for url-files, but to preserve it for ntfs-links. Is it possible somehow?
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Option to differ overlay icons for *.url files and overlay icons for ntfs-links to these files

Post by *hi5 »

You could use http://totalcmd.net/plugring/NTLinks.html plugin and do a "Define colors by filetype..." so you can distinguish them by color.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Option to differ overlay icons for *.url files and overlay icons for ntfs-links to these files

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

You coul replace the *.url-file icons by using the wincmd.ini
Under [Associations] create the following lines:
FilterX=*.url;
FilterX.icon=<your path/icon-file here>

where X has to be replaced by a number (1 in case you have no associations yet)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
yanch

Post by *yanch »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-11-07, 20:58 UTC You coul replace the *.url-file icons by using the wincmd.ini
I can. But It is not what I asked about. There is no possibility to visually differ *.url and ntfs-links. That`s all.
hi5 wrote: 2023-11-07, 17:18 UTC You could use http://totalcmd.net/plugring/NTLinks.html plugin and do a "Define colors by filetype..." so you can distinguish them by color.
Will check, thank you. But to my mind, author of TC should think about this issue.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2yanch
Please keep in mind that hard links are just references to the exact same file. The only way to tell if a file has been linked is by its hard link count. But still, there is no link target and no "original".

The hard link count can be retrieved by the NTLinks and NL_Info plugins.

Junctions and symlinks are already shown with an arrow symbol/overlay in TC.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
yanch

Post by *yanch »

So I have got something done, by setting option "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer" in TC and modifying registry in Windows (in order to hide arrow).

Image: https://images2.imgbox.com/67/ca/VcaW1z8e_o.png

But I still think that Ghisler should reconsider behavior of TC in this aspect.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

yanch wrote: 2023-11-08, 14:33 UTC But I still think that Ghisler should reconsider behavior of TC in this aspect.
Why ?
Without any changes, URLs are shown with some browser icon.
NTFS links have the Link overlay on a folder or application icon.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64