Elevation icon instead of annoying text with ^

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Elevation icon instead of annoying text with ^

Post by *Fla$her »

2umbra
Thanks for the reply. Shield in the TCMADMIN.EXE icon takes up a third of it. Is it distinguishable for you?
So we are left with changing the main icon ...
I agree. By overlay, I didn't mean exclusively a separate icon, but rather a rendering.
You didn't answer the question about the color of the floppy.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

When changing such a small icon, I would either follow some standards (e.g. use the shield overlay), because that's what people on Windows are conditioned to look for. Or change it so much that it will catch one's eye even if it's a non-standard thing (e.g. painting the floppy in yellow).

The second approach is what is currently used - just instead of the icon, we have a malformed account name, which should catch a user's attention. However, since it's a non-standard thing, people start asking questions about what it means :)

Also, the issue with small title bar icons and even smaller overlays might not be as bad in real world, assuming that it would be visible in the Windows taskbar, too.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

umbra wrote: 2023-11-28, 23:25 UTC When changing such a small icon, I would either follow some standards (e.g. use the shield overlay), because that's what people on Windows are conditioned to look for. Or change it so much that it will catch one's eye even if it's a non-standard thing (e.g. painting the floppy in yellow).
This is understandable. Only about what the shield could be (from TC or Windows) there were disagreements. And choosing the right shade for a floppy disk is not difficult at all.
umbra wrote: 2023-11-28, 23:25 UTC However, since it's a non-standard thing, people start asking questions about what it means :)
Exactly. It's confusing. I.e. you understand that it gives a difference, but you don't understand why it looks so strange.
umbra wrote: 2023-11-28, 23:25 UTC Also, the issue with small title bar icons and even smaller overlays might not be as bad in real world, assuming that it would be visible in the Windows taskbar, too.
To be honest, it's the taskbar that worries me first of all, because I hide the title bar. :)
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-11-28, 22:55 UTCIt's not a circumflex, it's a caret.
Don't get hung up on semantics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_(computing) wrote:Caret is the name used familiarly for the character ^ (the circumflex and a circumflex accent) [...] The formal ASCII standard (X3.64.1977) calls it a "circumflex".[1]

[...]
The freestanding circumflex (which had come to be called a caret) [...]
I read this as "freestanding circumflex" and "caret" are the same thing, so I don't see a reason to not call it a circumflex, leaving out the freestanding part.

The term caret also refers to a text cursor, e.g. in a text editor or edit field, so using that term in this context might lead to confusion. The term circumflex doesn't have this problem.
You don't mean the icon, but the library, apparently.
Well, the icon library contains the icon, doesn't it?
Of course, another library will need to be modified. It's okay, it's not a problem.
Yeah, sure, tell that to the people using external icon libraries why some of TC's or the IconLib's functionality will be broken. Not everyone using an IconLib knows how to change such a library (or should have to). One big advantage about TC is its huge compatibility, backward and forward alike. Breaking that compatibility is not something that should be considered lightly, especially when it's about such an unimportant thing.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Dalai wrote: 2023-11-29, 01:09 UTC Don't get hung up on semantics.
It's not about semantics, but the fact that these are different characters: ^ˆ
CaretU+005E^
CircumflexU+2038ˆ

The top of the circumflex is more cut off, this can be seen in many fonts with significant scaling. This difference is immediately visible on the wiki.
The term caret also refers to a text cursor
In this case, this is not an argument, because circumflex also has several homonyms.
But I do not insist, write as you want.

Well, the icon library contains the icon, doesn't it?
Yeah, sure, tell that to the people using external icon libraries why some of TC's or the IconLib's functionality will be broken.
There will be another icon at the very end. What problems?
Not everyone using an IconLib knows how to change such a library (or should have to).
If the user uses a third-party library, then he should be ready for changes. The library was periodically supplemented, both by the author of TC and by the authors of libraries, who never resented why they needed to supplement it in order to keep up with TC updates.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-11-29, 06:19 UTC
Dalai wrote: 2023-11-29, 01:09 UTC Don't get hung up on semantics.
It's not about semantics, but the fact that these are different characters: ^ˆ
CaretU+005E^
CircumflexU+2038ˆ

The top of the circumflex is more cut off, this can be seen in many fonts with significant scaling. This difference is immediately visible on the wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumflex
Code U+005E.
There's even a paragraph about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumflex#Freestanding_circumflex which redirects to the following article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_(computing)
Code U+005E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_(proofreading)
Code U+2038

I actually copied the character yesterday and it's code 5E. So according to these Wikipedia articles, it can be named either (freestanding) circumflex or caret. So I'm going to continue to call it the former.
If the user uses a third-party library, then he should be ready for changes.
It's very likely only a few 3rd party will get updated (if any). If TC tries to read the new icon and can't find it, it won't be able to show it, it's that simple.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

For the sake of interest, I looked into the symbol table and saw the word Caret only once:
U+2038Caret
^U+005ECircumflex Accent
˄U+02C4Modifier Letter Up Arrowhead
ˆU+02C6Modifier Letter Circumflex Accent
̂U+0302Combining Circumflex Accent
U+2303Up Arrowhead
U+FF3EFullwidth Circumflex Accent
U+2227Logical And
U+22C0N-Ari Logical And

At the same time, in the original description, the circumflex appears as a diacritic, i.e. a supra-letter character (in this case U+0302), and the last link explicitly states this: "For use as a diacritic or "hat" modifying another character (as in â), see Circumflex.".
Therefore, I never perceived it as a stand-alone, taking U+005E for Caret.
Okay, let everyone call it what they're used to.
Dalai wrote: 2023-11-29, 11:52 UTC If TC tries to read the new icon and can't find it, it won't be able to show it, it's that simple.
I hope, as a programmer, you don't need to explain how to beat this in a condition? ;)
Overquoting is evil! 👎
j7n

Post by *j7n »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-11-28, 21:06 UTC 4 mm? :shock: It's too little. How many inches is the screen, and what is the system scale?
On my old fashioned screen with 85 ppi (1024 pixels over 12 inches), the 16 pixel icon on the titlebar is about 4.7 mm (confirmed with a ruler). I can see the yellow shield clearly because the icon has a classic non-flat design with a well defined border.

I don't care about this issue either way because my account always has administrative rights, and I don't see the text. But I would lean towards a different icon. I use a distinct icon for other applications, which I have modified with a hue rotator to another color. When there are many (classic Windows) taskbar buttons visible, they shrink, and very little text remains beside each icon. I think there is no text at all on a Windows Seven super taskbar.

The great news is that Total Commander has been perfected to the point that the look of one icon remains among the most important refinements still to be made.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

j7n wrote: 2023-12-07, 08:38 UTC The great news is that Total Commander has been perfected to the point that the look of one icon remains among the most important refinements still to be made.
If you dont like the TC Icon you can always replace it with another one.
(PLEASE use the search Forum/Wiki Function if you wanna learn how to archive this :!: )
Hoecker sie sind raus!