Searching by metadata

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

RonA57

Searching by metadata

Post by *RonA57 »

Hi, all. New member here.
Does anyone know if it is possible to search through image files (JPG, TIF, PNG) using my embedded keywords?
Basically like we can search nested folders for file names, but using the stored metadata...

Perhaps this is already possible. Perhaps I need a plugin. No luck on my own; so thought I would ask here.
Thanks!
Ron
RonA57

Re: Searching by metadata

Post by *RonA57 »

I have the 2nd and 3rd plugin in this list. It doesn't seem to have a search function, unless I am not using them correctly.
Last edited by RonA57 on 2024-01-19, 22:22 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

All content plugins can be used on the Plugins tab of TC's Find Files feature. See also https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=Content_plugin

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
RonA57

Post by *RonA57 »

No joy in searching. My search terms work if they are in the image title / description. But not when used as a keyword in the metadata.
This is SO close to being what I need.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, you need to select the correct plugin field. Maybe use WdxGuide or its successor WdxGuide2 to see which field provides the data you want. Once you know the correct field(s) you can use it/them in TC's search.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
RonA57

Post by *RonA57 »

Dalai,
If I understand correctly (getting less certain all the time), the field that I need in these files "Keywords".
How do I use this information for a search? And where in the TC search function would it be placed?
Thanks.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

As I said: the Plugins tab of the Find Files dialog. Open it by pressing Alt+F7, switch to the Plugins tab, select the plugin you want/need to use from the dropdown, then select the field (property) that provides the information, select an operator (depends on the field) and lastly enter the search terms into the last field called Value. That's pretty much it.

You can save the search parameters via the Load/Save tab of the Find Files dialog.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

RonA57

Post by *RonA57 »

Thank you. I never would have found that on my own.
The problem now is that searching on the keyword is coming up empty. Will searching this way search down the folder tree? Or just in the current / starting directory?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

The things configured on the Plugins tab are just additional search parameters. Where TC searches and how many directory levels is set in the General tab.

If the search comes up empty it's probably the wrong plugin field. I suggest to try WdxGuide2 to find out which field provides the data you want. Another way to find out which plugin fields provide which data are custom columns (https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=Custom_columns).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

RonA57

Post by *RonA57 »

I'll keep playing. This feels like it's very close to working.
Thanks.
RonA57

Post by *RonA57 »

Dalai,
All is working as it should. (It was a dumb typing mistake on my part.) Thanks again for your help on this!
Ron