TC and Android Google apk's

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ianl8888

TC and Android Google apk's

Post by *ianl8888 »

I've been a long-time user (since 2004) of TC for both Windows PC and Windows Mobile. And now for Android v11 by default since my old 3G network was finally closed.

TC is one of the very greats across 20 years and 3 platforms. Mr. Ghisler has constantly provided top end world class file managers for an extraodinarily low cost to consumers.

Just downloaded the apk for Google Earth 10.41.0.7 from a reliable 3rd party website. Copied across from my PC to the Android phone into an sd card folder created within TC on the phone (yes, the ///LAN connections work flawlessly). Tapped the apk (within TC) to install - and up jumped a message saying "Install for Google Earth not permitted from within TC by request from Google". Yewww ...

Yet another much simpler file manager I've also put on the phone had no problems at all for GE installation off that apk. So very sad that Google singles out TC. Are there other common apps within this group this has happened to ? (I hope for a NO, of course, since TC is undeserving of this).
Hacker

Re: TC and Android Google apk's

Post by *Hacker »

ianl8888,
a message saying "Install for Google Earth not permitted from within TC by request from Google". Yewww ...

Yet another much simpler file manager I've also put on the phone had no problems at all for GE installation off that apk. So very sad that Google singles out TC.
You can install the non-restricted version using F-Droid - https://www.ghisler.com/fdroid.htm .

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

Thanks to Hacker for the reply.

There is a goodly number of choices using the F-Droid app, although TC is not allowed to install it (same old, same old ...). The simpler file manager I mentioned above did install it ...

My view of Google (Alpha) is now irretrievably jaundiced. Twenty years ago, the Search functions and earlier Google Earth were ground-breaking and innovative. The lure of power and money has corrupted this. It seems likely to me that TC is forbidden to install apk downloads from other than Playstore because it (TC) is so popular and efficient. Competing with Google is not allowed - corruption. (I hope that's wrong).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ianl8888,
I hope I was clear that you should install F-Droid, and then within F-Droid install TC? Then using that TC you can again install APKs as usual.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

Again, thanks to Hacker.
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

Been a bit slow to finish this thread - a bit busy, I guess, and in any case the issue is some years old for most people.

Mr. Ghisler in his usual truly admirable fashion resolved the problem of TC being prevented from installing an apk file (although other less known file managers are not so restricted). Google's attempt at Apple-like control of apps is as dust, it seems ...

The "appinstaller120.apk" utility Mr. Ghisler provides resolves the issue easily with no fuss, and installs off the sd card as well if needed. Again, Total Commander across the various platforms is a world great.