Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [11.03rc1] Photos app does not show all images

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Flint
Menu Files - Associate with doesn't work when the user used at least once the context menu function "Open with" - "Always open with". Windows blocks this so programs and installers can't grab a file association which a user has explicitly changed.

In this case, you can only use internal associations to override the Windows associations.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-25, 09:41 UTC Menu Files - Associate with doesn't work when the user used at least once the context menu function "Open with" - "Always open with". Windows blocks this so programs and installers can't grab a file association which a user has explicitly changed.
Perhaps this statement can be added to the help?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a good idea, I will add it.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

petermad wrote: 2024-01-25, 08:44 UTC Personally I have most success associating files in Windows by the file context menu, chosing "Open with" -> "Choose another app", and then check the option "Always use this app to open .xxx files"
So do I, since switching to Win10. This OS is really fighting you all the way, adding more and more vague registry keys, so the third-party programs fail to set up the associations correctly. But the Windows interface is really ill-suited for assigning lots of extensions, which may be required for programs like image viewers or multimedia players. Although the TC's Associate dialog isn't much help for such a scenario either…
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-25, 09:41 UTC Menu Files - Associate with doesn't work when the user used at least once the context menu function "Open with" - "Always open with". Windows blocks this so programs and installers can't grab a file association which a user has explicitly changed.

In this case, you can only use internal associations to override the Windows associations.
Thing is, I did all the tests in a separate Win10 virtual machine exactly for that reason. On my main PC I'm using IrfanView, and I didn't want to risk it with having to reassign all the file types again. And that VM I used does not have IrfanView or any other third-party viewer, that's why it was suitable for testing. I'm sure I have never changed the image file type assotiations in that virtual machine. I could do it and then forget, of course, but there's simply nothing to assign them to…
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have added the warning to the help in RC3, please check.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Help wrote:Warning:
"Associate with..." doesn't work when the user used at least once the context menu function "Open with" - "Always open with". Windows then blocks the change of file associations, so programs and installers can't grab a file association which a user has explicitly changed. In this case, you can only use internal associations to override the Windows associations.
Confirmed added to TC 11.03rc3 :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to fixed bugs