Directory hotlist: add a folder that already exists in the list, but with different target folder

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Directory hotlist: add a folder that already exists in the list, but with different target folder

Post by *wanderer »

I'd like to remind this issue i had reported.

I'm reminding it because i'm facing an additional issue with the way this system (hotlist) works. I just faced it a few minutes ago but i have faced it again in the past a few times. The issue is this: there is no easy way to add a folder that already exists in the hotdir list, but with different destination path.

The problem is that since the path already exists in the hotlist, there is no "add current dir" entry, only "remove". I'd suggest if the folder exists in the hotlist, to show an "add current dir again" entry (under the "remove" one), which should give the ability to add another entry with the same base path but with different target path (or none if the original entry did have a target path). In this case, perhaps a validation should also exist (if needed) in order not to be able to add the same entry with the same target path twice.
Last edited by wanderer on 2024-02-04, 08:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Hotlist issue (again)

Post by *petermad »

Support+
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

This really isn't a big deal: just add a different path and then manually adjust the title and paths. Problem solved. So in my opinion it's unnecessary.

The above-mentioned check is also counterproductive because - I, for example - have the same paths in the list several times (in different sub menues of the list) and do so deliberately...

In summary: the TC does exactly what I want and I am not dependent on any functions of the TC in this case. I also use the Directory Hotlist for many things other than paths (starting programs and scripts, changing Tc settings (incl externaly changing titles in the hotlist), etc.), where checking would be difficult or even impossible, even undesirable.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I think the problem could be solved with a [Duplicate entry] button in the "Change directory menu" dialog - just like the one in the "Connect to ftp server" dialog.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2024-02-03, 04:06 UTC I think the problem could be solved...
Really: what problem? Please, not a button for every special case, which then has to be explained in a laborious manner. In this case that is really completely unnecessary. It is easy for the user to handle it and it is the users choice, how he will handle it.

Joube
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

JOUBE wrote: 2024-02-03, 05:06 UTC
petermad wrote: 2024-02-03, 04:06 UTC I think the problem could be solved...
Really: what problem? Please, not a button for every special case, which then has to be explained in a laborious manner. In this case that is really completely unnecessary. It is easy for the user to handle it and it is the users choice, how he will handle it.
Well, that's your opinion. Personally i do not consider this a special case. We have a "tree" of entries and the "unique key" should have been both source and target paths. As is now, it's only source path, which is incomplete. Since it's been implemented like this and Christian decided not to change it, we're trying to find workarounds for issues like this, in order to make it more usable.

One could take further what you have said, and say "what do we need an "options" window for? To have to explain things? Let's edit the INIs directly and that's enough".

The only way to add such an entry is the way you proposed in your previous post, but it involves more steps and it's tiresome, especially if you wish to add several folders, and deep inside the hotlist tree. As for the validation, i'm not suggesting it, i'm just saying "if for some reason Christian thinks it's necessary". It could be considered pointless since one could edit the hotlist directly and insert whatever he wants...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

wanderer wrote: 2024-02-03, 09:25 UTC The only way to add such an entry is the way you proposed in your previous post, but it involves more steps and it's tiresome, especially if you wish to add several folders, and deep inside the hotlist tree.
That's completely wrong. You obviously don't know the options for editing of (and direct adding entries to) the directory hotlist, for example with the feature that always returns to the same place/entry in the Hot list when editing is called up again. This especially designed for your "add several folders" and your "deep inside the hotlist tree". All this is easy to use, fast and handsome, perfect for your wishes and needs. Try it out... Nothing is tiresome there... You can add up to 2000 times the same folder in combination with any folder you want (if you want 2000 times the same folder) without any problems and without any message. 2000 times the same folder folder combination in any depth of the directory hotlist tree...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

JOUBE wrote: 2024-02-03, 16:19 UTCThat's completely wrong. You obviously don't know the options for editing of (and direct adding entries to) the directory hotlist
I don't want to edit the hotdir list, i want to select both paths in TC and just click on "add current dir". I find it more convenient than editing the list though a modal window and manually copying/pasting the paths (which would involve a 2nd TC instance to select and copy the path). And as you said, one may wish to add several combinations of paths but not all in the same place in the tree...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2024-02-03, 21:48 UTC

2wanderer
Please change the thread's subject to something more meaningful, for example: