PowerToys Fancy Zones - TC window does not resize correctly

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

henrywyde

PowerToys Fancy Zones - TC window does not resize correctly

Post by *henrywyde »

Hi

Preface: There's a suite of Windows productivity tools called MS PowerToys. One of the tools in it is Fancy Zones. It allows to tile windows on the screen. First you mark the screens into zones and then when you drag a window into the zone (or zones), the window takes the shape of the zone.

You can install powertoys from winget:

Code: Select all

winget install powertoys
Problem: if I drag a TC window in a zone or zones in Fancy Zones, it does not resize correctly. It is always bigger than the zone(s). But sometimes it gets resized correctly and fits the zone! There is no logic in this, most of the times it does not resize to fit the zone.

Thank you.
Hacker

Re: PowerToys Fancy Zones - TC window does not resize correctly

Post by *Hacker »

henrywyde,
Sounds more like a question for the PowerToys developers, since they need to resize the windows correctly. Perhaps they did not test with applications programmed in Delphi 2.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander just resizes as told. Or do you mean one of the dialogs? Some of them have a minimum size which cannot be bypassed, e.g. "compare by content".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
henrywyde

Post by *henrywyde »

question for the PowerToys developers
I wish it were that simple.
I'm asking in TC forum because (1) PT devs won't have a clue about what TC is and (2) nobody would know TC behavior better than TC users.
On top of that, it's worth noting that PT does resize 98% of the windows correctly.
minimum size
Thanks for the note. I am aware of previous topic on this forum regarding the behavior of some dialog windows of TC with Fancy Zones. Some applications (e.g. Spotify, MS Teams) indeed have a minimum window size and can't be even manually resized below this size. However, TC window can generally be manually resized freely.

:idea: I am getting closer to the root cause, however. I suspected that TC window settings (aka "Save Position") could be related that behavior.

I removed wincmd.ini. Now, the window resizes according to the zones - i.e. problem seems to be solved.

Now I need to find the cause in my existing wincmd.ini.

UPDATE: I ended up deleting all old display configurations (any section starting with [1920.. etc.) from wincmd.ini. This made resizing work again. Problem solved for now.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I ended up deleting all old display configurations (any section starting with [1920.. etc.) from wincmd.ini.
These indeed store the positions of both Total Commander itself (saved manually) and of any resizable dialogs (stored automatically). So if you never choose "Configuration" -> "Save position" or "Save settings", the position of the main window will not be saved.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com