TC 11.02 installer won't create Start menu icons under WS2022

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ondrej

TC 11.02 installer won't create Start menu icons under WS2022

Post by *ondrej »

I have noticed that version 11.02 won't create Start menu links under Windows Server 2022 when running in unattended mode using an INF file. When the interactive installer is used, Start menu shortcut icons are created correctly.

My unattended setup uses the install.exe and I have been using this method since version 8.52 at least. I read some posts and wiki about custom installers — please note that is not my case. For the sake of clarity, let me explain that to make the unattended install I do this:
  1. Unpack the installer such as tcmd1102x64.exe into a folder
  2. Copy install.exe from the previous version's folder — the timestamp is 23.11.2016 09:00 and file size is 155728 bytes
  3. Customize install.inf to match my options
  4. Add custom wincmd.ini and wincmd.key
Then I run install.exe to setup the program. I am not using install64.exe.

This is probably the older method, but worked fine for me and thanks to its simplicity it's preferred.

Note that I tried version 9.51, which worked flawlessly on previous versions of Windows Server, and the icons aren't created as well.
ondrej

Re: TC 11.02 installer won't create Start menu icons under WS2022

Post by *ondrej »

I figured out this can be solved by the latest version of the legacy installer found here: https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=Custom_installer

I didn't notice there was a newer version. Feel free to delete this thread.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC 11.02 installer won't create Start menu icons under WS2022

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for the followup! It may help other users, so I'm moving it to the English forum.

Moderator message

Moved to English forum
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com