Lister's window title / taskbar button - display filename first

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Amitabha613

Lister's window title / taskbar button - display filename first

Post by *Amitabha613 »

During my work I deal with many text files opened in Lister simultaneously.

Every Lister button on the taskbar displays

Lister > file path > and only then filename

And in my case filenames themselves cannot actually be seen.

Image: https://i.postimg.cc/76Y1LGCy/lister-forum.png

It's all a common obvious usability issue. Take a look here, for example. (Different product, same thing. Found while googling for a solution.)

Reorder taskbar title to say filename first

The problem is caused, I assume, by the fashion Lister names its windows. For instance, while viewing a picture file with Imagine plugin, Lister names its window (and therefore the taskbar button) like this:

Lister (imagine) - [d:\STUFF\picture.png]

whereas it obviously (I assume I can speak on behalf of every sane user on that) should be something like:

picture.png [d:\STUFF\picture.png] Lister (imagine)

I realize that the suggestion is relevant mostly for Windows 7 and 10 users, as in Windows 11 the taskbar is completely different (and fukked up). I've also been kindly given a workaround with the following result:

Image: https://i.postimg.cc/HnzdFhSM/lister-forum-3.png

But Mr Ghisler, perhaps it's not good for Lister to have such obvious usability issue? Could you please fix it and make Lister, on its window title, display name of opened file first? (Just like it's done in Windows Notepad, Wordpad, etc)? Or at least implement that as an option.
Last edited by Amitabha613 on 2024-03-15, 11:22 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lister buttons on the taskbar - display file names first

Post by *nsp »

It can be n option, you should make a suggestion.
in the meantime, you can use a powerpro or autohotkey or auto-it or ... script to change the title of the lister window using settext (WM_SETTEXT) . This should cover your need.
what should be done, get all widows with "lister *" caption, get current caption and transform to get and set new titlebar text. It can be a hit as you need script using a button inside TC or a scheduled or bg task started with TC.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Amitabha613
TC x32 + tlister. Instead of a tasbar, a tab bar with file names is used.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lister's window title / taskbar button - display filename first

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2024-03-13, 17:15 UTC

OP requested original post in English forum to be deleted because he made a similar post in the Suggestions forum.
Because people replied already to that post, I instead changed the post to the one in Suggestions and moved the thread to suggestions.
Amitabha613

Post by *Amitabha613 »

Fla$her wrote: 2024-03-12, 06:11 UTC TC x32 + tlister. Instead of a tasbar, a tab bar with file names is used.
Not an option, I'm afraid. That's a no x64 plugin, and the reviews say it's buggy.
nsp wrote: 2024-03-12, 05:00 UTC It can be n option, you should make a suggestion.
in the meantime, you can use a powerpro or autohotkey or auto-it or ... script to change the title of the lister window using settext (WM_SETTEXT) . This should cover your need.
Thank you, using Autohotkey was helpful indeed. But still, it's just a workaround, you know.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Amitabha613 wrote: 2024-03-13, 18:22 UTC Not an option, I'm afraid. That's a no x64 plugin, and the reviews say it's buggy.
I'm staying on x32 because of many plugins, so it's not a problem for me.
If there are few tabs, then there are usually no bugs.
Overquoting is evil! 👎