How to clean up "context menu > new" ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

horus_lupercal

How to clean up "context menu > new" ?

Post by *horus_lupercal »

In the new version, context menu > new contains a lot of random file extensions that I don't need and have never seen before. It's different from the normal Windows context menu, and items don't have the regular names, either. E.g. new shortcut is called lnkfile.

I found a single topic that mentions this issue but no fix was suggested. Is there a way to clean this up and get the normal system context menu back, or at least modify the items in it? Thanks much.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to clean up "context menu > new" ?

Post by *Stefan2 »

Welcome 2horus_lupercal

Do you have a screenshot of that context menu for us
and can upload it to a picture hoster and post the URL here?
horus_lupercal

beb

Post by *beb »

Seeing the given screenshot I can confirm it with the following notes.
As for me, this submenu in TC is nearly the same as in Explorer by the nominal content entries.
The difference is that Explorer displays it with icons,
while Total Commander (I checked vv. 10.00, 11.02, 11.03 both 32 and 64-bit) does not display icons, showing file type extensions in a text form instead; also the shortcut entry drifted into the lower submenu section.
The submenus other than "New >" there ("Give access to >", "Include in library >", "Send to >") go in TC with icons.
I'm not sure if this is a specific system limitation for tools like Total Commander, so It might be a bug.
Anyway, it's not a matter of cleaning the submenu.

Edit:
This is how the submenu looks in my case (Explorer vs TC):
Image: https://i.imgur.com/HA9tBNt.jpeg

Edit2:
Out of curiosity, I have tried Double Commander (v. 1.1.11) and it displays the "New >" submenu the same way as does Explorer.
Thus, it would be hard to explain such a behavior in any other way than the result of a bug in Total Commander.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
horus_lupercal

Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried Double Commander. All I know is that not long ago this 'new' submenu was very different and I haven't modified the registry. The only change that happened is that I upgraded TC to 11.03, that's why I thought it may have something to do with the version. I certainly didn't have these random file extensions in the new menu. I'll read up on fixing it from registry.
beb

Post by *beb »

horus_lupercal wrote: 2024-03-18, 17:25 UTC I'll read up on fixing it from registry.
horus_lupercal
I'm afraid this is the Total Commander bug (and/or a limitation), and therefore you can barely do anything with that, while Mr. ghisler(Author) probably can at least clarify the situation.

P.S. I made a report in the bugs section:
viewtopic.php?t=81807
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try this tool: ShellMenuNew

It's quite old, so it may not work correctly on Windows 10/11.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
horus_lupercal

Thanks so much, I'm on Win10 and it works flawlessly. Though it lists hundreds of items and I'm having a hard time finding the right items to disable. But at least I'm on the right track.

The issue is not critical, I just don't fully understand what triggered it.