xPDFSearch 1.11 - Content plugin to search text in PDF files

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

xPDFSearch 1.11 - Content plugin to search text in PDF files

Post by *Lefteous »

Current version 1.11
A new version is ready for download. The new version fixes an issue which could lead to not finding all string.

The complete list of changes can be viewed online.

Plugin page: Download, description und documentation
xPDFSearch Homepage
Last edited by Lefteous on 2015-01-11, 17:28 UTC, edited 11 times in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I have received a Russian language file. It will be included in the next version.

I uploaded the file to my server:
www.lefteous.de/tc/archives/xpdfsearch/xpdfsearch_1.00_rus.zip
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I give you a Danish tranlation here:

[dan]
Text=Tekst
Title=Titel
Subject=Emne
Keywords=Stikord
Author=Forfatter
Application=Anvendelse
PDF Producer=PDF fremstillet med
Number of Pages=Sideantal
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Lefteous
Wow, nice plugin! One little problem: You don't seem to close the PDF file after searching for text in it, so it cannot be deleted until TC is closed and re-opened.

You need to close the file either when there is no more data (when returning ft_fieldempty), or when there is a match. From the help: If there is a match, TC signals the plugin that it can delete the cached data by calling ContentGetValue with UnitIndex set to -1!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2petermad
Thanks for the translation. I will add to the next release. To complete the translation a danish translation for the plugin description in pluginst.inf would nice.
yeellow

Post by *yeellow »

Hello,

your plugin looks really good, but how can I display pdf title? It would be great to have the possibility to rename pdf file using it's title (and other fields also). I have many downloaded files named for example igfffe908fe.pdf and I would love to be able to automatically change their names. If that's not yet possible, even display the title would be good, I would than just copy the name and rename the file. Much faster than opening Acrobat, coping title, closing Acrobat and renameing the file...

Regards,
Marcin
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2yeellow
That should be possible. Select the files to rename. Open the multi rename tool. For the rename mask click the plugin button and choose xpdfsearch/title.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

2Lefteous
Thank you very much for this useful plugin. :)

2yeellow
but how can I display pdf title?
This is possible with "custom columns" and/or "custom tooltips".
It would be great to have the possibility to rename pdf file using it's title
It's possible too with multi rename tool.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Lefteous
To complete the translation a danish translation for the plugin description in pluginst.inf would nice
Sorry that I didn't provide that in the first place - here it is:

Code: Select all

description=xPDFSearch kan bruges til at foretage fuldtekst søgning i PDF filer. Desuden stiller xPDFSearch meta data information fra PDF filer til rådighed.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
yeellow

Post by *yeellow »

Lefteous wrote:2yeellow
That should be possible. Select the files to rename. Open the multi rename tool. For the rename mask click the plugin button and choose xpdfsearch/title.
Thanks! I must be blind :-(. It works, but there is a problem. When I look for a title, I expect the title I see when I open the document. But when I tested your plugin on the pdf's I have on my disk it shows rather something like "F:FSBD4-3FS009" instead of a proper title. It is the case both for pdf files version 1.2 and 1.4. I checked wih many other files and it most of the time shows the wrong title (well, not the one I see on the top of the document I open :-). Maybe it's because of authors, who do not pay attention and set Title fileld randomly... Do you know the issue?

Regards
Marcin
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2yeellow
Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. The title is what the author of the PDF file saved as title. To ensure the plugin displays the proper information open the document properties in your Acrobat Reader (Ctrl+D) in watchout for the title. Let me know if it differs from the title displayed by the plugin.
The title in PDF is a metadata information and not part of the document text. But why not introduce a new field "first line" :)
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

2Lefteous
Many thanx for realisation this request
[REQ] Content plugin for full-text-search in PDF, DOC.

This makes my day.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance. Benjamin Franklin
nevidimka

Post by *nevidimka »

One little problem: You don't seem to close the PDF file after searching for text in it, so it cannot be deleted until TC is closed and re-opened.
Confirmed. A cm_UnloadPlugins helps too (faster than closing/re-opening of TC). :D
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance. Benjamin Franklin
yeellow

Post by *yeellow »

Lefteous wrote:2yeellow
Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. The title is what the author of the PDF file saved as title. To ensure the plugin displays the proper information open the document properties in your Acrobat Reader (Ctrl+D) in watchout for the title. Let me know if it differs from the title displayed by the plugin.
The title in PDF is a metadata information and not part of the document text. But why not introduce a new field "first line" :)
Yes, you are right. It's author's fault.... The field "first line" would be good, but in many cases it would be author's name or publisher's name, or so... The problem is, that we can see the title with no troubles, but for a computer it's much more tricky :(. I don't know much about pdf format, so I don't know if it's possible to define some parametres that all titles have in common. Like bigger font size, aligment center, etc... Human lazyness it's always the biggest problem, if only the proper fields were filled.... :-).

Regards,
Marcin
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2yeellow
Yes, you are right. It's author's fault.... The field "first line" would be good, but in many cases it would be author's name or publisher's name, or so... The problem is, that we can see the title with no troubles, but for a computer it's much more tricky Sad. I don't know much about pdf format, so I don't know if it's possible to define some parametres that all titles have in common. Like bigger font size, aligment center, etc... Human lazyness it's always the biggest problem, if only the proper fields were filled.... Smile.
OK what about a "first page" field instead. :-)
It would be still much faster than searching the whole document.