Ann: fhRAR v0.1.0

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

FlyingHorse

Ann: fhRAR v0.1.0

Post by *FlyingHorse »

This plugin was created to fill a void in the way that TC handles multi-volume RAR archives.

I started out writing it just for my own use, but felt that others may find it useful too. I have decided to make it available to all under the GPL.

I have not had time to perform any regression testing so I cannot say at this point if it will work on Windows versions earlier than Windows 2000 or TC versions earlier than 6.53. (If anyone has access to earlier versions of TC please let me know!)

The plugin can be found at: http://webpages.charter.net/flyinghorse/fhRAR.rar

The source is available at: http://webpages.charter.net/flyinghorse/fhRAR Source.rar

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: 19 FEB 2006 - Updated Download Links
Last edited by FlyingHorse on 2006-02-19, 21:40 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
FlyingHorse
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

What's the difference between this one and regular TC? I had problems too, but I just downloaded a newer UNRAR.DLL, and once that was put in the TC dir everything worked just fine, and has since :)
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

And one other thing - how did you manage to get your plugin to work on RAR files? I've wanted to do a better plugin for .tar.gz and tar.bz2 files (which would show the files at once instead of first showing the .tar files as an additional step), but have been told that that can't be done, since the internal packers get started first...
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 28-07-2005 10:58:12 +0000 ctiberg wrote:

c> I had problems too, but I just downloaded a newer UNRAR.DLL,
c> and once that was put in the TC dir everything worked just
c> fine, and has since :)

Problems you talking about are actually not a "problems". These are problems.[/face]
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

I don't understand what you mean. Could you please clarify a bit? Do you mean that my replacing the DLL is a problem? It may be, but it worked for me and has so for a year or more...

Because I got the response about replacing internal packers with new plugins, so I'd very much like an asnwer without having to read through the sources (I'm not fluent in C/C++/whatever)...
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 28-07-2005 16:58:07 +0000 ctiberg wrote:

c> I don't understand what you mean.

%))) Yep, that happened from time to time...

c> Could you please clarify a bit?

Of course I could :).

c> Do you mean that my replacing the DLL is a problem? It may
c> be, but it worked for me and has so for a year or more...

No, I meant that UNRAR.DLL replacement (to open new RAR format archives, I guess) "problem" has no connection with situation described by FlyingHorse. Actually, I just want you to read this thread (hover your mouce cursor over my previouse post %).[/face]
FlyingHorse

Post by *FlyingHorse »

@ctiberg
The difference between this plugin and the way that TC handles RAR archives is related to multi-volume archives.

Using TC you can view only the file/s contained in that single part of a set that you open, you cannot view or work with the entire set as a whole. Currently you have to use WinRAR or its command line version to view, test, or extract the entire contents of a MV set.

In regards to your question about internal packers getting started first, I honestly didn't know that to be the case when I started this project, but I did make some test runs with a do nothing .dll first to make sure that I could replace TC's builtin RAR handling. My suggestion is that you do the same with the .gz and .bz2 extensions and see for yourself if it will work.

HTH
Best regards,
FlyingHorse
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

Black Dog wrote:No, I meant that UNRAR.DLL replacement (to open new RAR format archives, I guess) "problem" has no connection with situation described by FlyingHorse.
No, my swapping the dll was exactly to solve TC's handling of multi-volume archives. It does so now without a hitch :)
Actually, I just want you to read this thread (hover your mouce cursor over my previouse post %).
It might clarify things if I tell you that I'm visually impaired. I simply didn't see that there was a link in your post, until I pressed "Quote" and noticed the [url] tags.. This in turn is due to the fact that my current scheme (or maybe all schemes) has no underline under the links, and I didn't spot the difference in color (if there are any).
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
ctiberg

Post by *ctiberg »

FlyingHorse wrote:@ctiberg
The difference between this plugin and the way that TC handles RAR archives is related to multi-volume archives.

Using TC you can view only the file/s contained in that single part of a set that you open, you cannot view or work with the entire set as a whole. Currently you have to use WinRAR or its command line version to view, test, or extract the entire contents of a MV set.
Hehe :) Swapping the DLL, as per my post above, does the same thing - at least here it does.. I can open multivolume RAR's and extract just fine, with TC :) I've done so for archives up to 4,7Gb in size.
In regards to your question about internal packers getting started first, I honestly didn't know that to be the case when I started this project, but I did make some test runs with a do nothing .dll first to make sure that I could replace TC's builtin RAR handling. My suggestion is that you do the same with the .gz and .bz2 extensions and see for yourself if it will work.
Hmmm... It would appear that Ghisler has made some changes.. I tried to do my stuff a couple of years ago, and got the reply that it wasn't possible. And then I haven't tried it since. Perhaps I will really do a gz2 and bz2 replacement....
Best regards,
Christian Tiberg
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Thanks for this plugin, finally a solution for a longtime problem. Maybe it's possible to tell ghisler how to do it so it can be integrated fully into TC by default. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:Maybe it's possible to tell ghisler how to do it so it can be integrated fully into TC by default. ;)
Well, sources are supplied on the first post! ;-) :D :) :P
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I know, but ghisler will be afraid of being sued if he uses them. ;)

*click* ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:*click* ;)
248 to go! Thanks!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@FlyingHorse:
When trying to open RAR archives that are in use, for example during a running download, your plugin fails. The internal unrar has no problems with that.

I am not sure if it's a bug you can correct or a limitation of the packer plugin interface, though.

Icfu
This account is for sale
taohe

Post by *taohe »

Nice plugin! Thanks!

Got one question regarding multiple volume rar archives and unrar.dll. If the multiple volume archives myfile.part01.rar, myfile.part02.rar, ...,etc only contain one big file, is it possible to make the extraction pause at each volume and the extracted file only contains whatever has been extracted up to the previous volume? It seems that unrar.dll pre-allocate the full file size of the extracted file and there is no way to pause at each volume.