WinRAR context menu item

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

WinRAR context menu item

Post by *Thany »

I have Windows XP x64 and WinRAR 3.5 installed. WinRAR 3.5 supports x64 just fine, because the context menu item shows up when I right-click on a file in the explorer. But when I activate the contextmenu on a file within TC (by click-and-hold the right mouse button), the WinRAR menuitem doesn't show up.

How can?
gigaman

Post by *gigaman »

Obviously, WinRAR doesn't support x64 "just fine". It probably adds the 64bit shell extension into the 64bit HKCR tree. Total Commander, however, it a 32bit program - so WinRAR should also put the 32bit shell extension into the 32bit HKCR tree (and it probably doesn't, according to your symptoms).
Anyway, I doubt this has anything to do with TC specifically; you can try to start 32bit Explorer (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Explorer.exe) and see if WinRAR is in its context menu.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Hmm, sounds like a reasonable explanation. And indeed, WinRAR only puts the 64-bits shell extension in HKCR. Should this be reported to WinRAR's support team?
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

I guess this is something which has to do with Windows. So no need to report this until Windows final release
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

majkinetor
Just FYI: WinXP x64 and Win2003 x64 final versions have already been released for several months ago.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Thany
Try installing WinRAR 32bit in parallel to WinRAR 64bit (but in a different directory).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Just FYI: WinXP x64 and Win2003 x64 final versions have already been released for several months ago.
My mistake. But I still think it is a Windows problem since it didn't do anything to make compatibility between new and legacy code. That is just my opinion.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2Thany
Try installing WinRAR 32bit in parallel to WinRAR 64bit (but in a different directory).
I have installed the 32-bit version... now where do I find the 64-bit version??

You do know that the WinRAR installer installs a 32-bit or 64-bit shell extension, depending on what windows you have, but the application itself is 32-bits...

Oh and I forgot to mention that the WinRAR contextmenu item does show up on a RAR-file. They just don't show up on other files (or directories).
Cronner

Post by *Cronner »

Have the same problem it stinks...
A solution would be nice...
and TC 64bit would be nice to ;)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't have access to a 64bit system to test this. Please look if there is a file RarExt.dll in the WinRAR directory. This is the RAR explorer extension. You should be able to register it with
regsvr32 RarExt.dll

So all you need to do is to get the 32-bit RarExt.dll and register it manually. Don't replace the 64bit RarExt.dll, otherwise you will get into troubles with 64bit Explorer...
Cronner

Post by *Cronner »

when i try that i get:

Regsvr32:

RarExt.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry ponit was not found.
This file cannot be registred.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apparently this is the 64-bit rarext.dll. You need to get the 32-bit version, e.g. from a WinRAR installer.
Cronner

Post by *Cronner »

think the 64-bit is RarExt64.dll in the same dir.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

If WinRAR's directory already has both the 32bit and 64bit extension, then it sounds to me as if its only ever using one of the extensions at any given time ??

Have you attempted loading the 32bit Explorer and seeing if the context menu functions properly there?

I think it has 32bit explorer in something like the "wow64" directory, but I don't have the OS to know for sure.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Cronner

Post by *Cronner »

same problem with 7-zip