[suggestion] d&d button bar elements rearrangement

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jungle

[suggestion] d&d button bar elements rearrangement

Post by *Jungle »

now i can rearrange elements in the button bar only via "Configuration->Button bar". i'd like BB to be rearrangeable with drag'n'drop just like Windows QuickLaunch Bar.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Maybe this could help you:

You can also use cut and paste to reorder your buttons: right click and cut any button, then right click another button and select 'paste'. The button will be inserted near the destination button.

You can control whether the pasted button should be inserted left/right from the destination button if you right click near the left/right margin of the destination button.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The button bar isn't currently arrangeable via drag&drop to avoid accidental unwanted changes to the button bar. You can drag&drop buttons in "Configuration - button bar", though if you don't want to use copy+paste.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)
The button bar isn't currently arrangeable via drag&drop to avoid accidental unwanted changes to the button bar.
And that's wise IMHO. I don't see an urge to implement drag'n'drop, as most people will change the buttonbar order quite rarely and the two options mentioned here suffice IMHO.

If you plan to enable drag'n'drop some time, I'd apreciate to see an option to disable it (like the 'fix taskbar/buttonbar'-option in XP).
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Drag&drop is triggered by pressing ALT-Key in Speed Commander so it's hard to understand how this could lead to "unwanted changes".

I am sorry, but there is nothing "wise" in not implementing decent drag&drop features. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

A drag&drop system which allows the user to rearrange the buttonbar directly would be really a great enhancement.
I don't think it's a good idea to enable this feature using a modifier. An alternative could be a non modal improved "Change button bar" dialog. As long as dialog is open the user would be able to rearrange the buttons.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I don't think it's a good idea to enable this feature using a modifier.
Why not?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Hacker
Why not?
Modifiers on button bar buttons should be used to modify the behavior of actions.
Opening the "Change button bar" dialog points out that the button bar is editable.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I don't think it's a good idea to enable this feature using a modifier. An alternative could be a non modal improved "Change button bar" dialog. As long as dialog is open the user would be able to rearrange the buttons.
This is how it's done in Directory Opus and it's for sure even better than "just" a modifier. But meanwhile I try to stay realistic with Total Commander as you know... ;)
I would be happy with tiny enhancements regarding drag&drop as the real big ones won't be coded anyway in that antique GUI.

Icfu
This account is for sale
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2icfu
Drag&drop is triggered by pressing ALT-Key in Speed Commander
Well, that could be an option. I'm not against D'n'D in general. If it would be possible with a modifier key or when the Bbar-dialog is open, this would be nice.
DocMAX

Re: [suggestion] d&d button bar elements rearrangement

Post by *DocMAX »

2nd that!