Looking for a .max file (3dsmax) preview plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BobGo

Looking for a .max file (3dsmax) preview plugin

Post by *BobGo »

Documentation could be retrieved from sparks.discreet.com / Solutions / "How To Extract Thumbnail Images". Anyone able to write something?
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

At a first glance it does not look like a big deal to do it... But where can I download 3dsmax SDK, API description and some sample max files (of different version) without registration? Could someone please provide these information?

I wonder if http://download.autodesk.com/mne/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax51_SDK.exe is the latest SDK version :?:

Cheers,
tbeu
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

OK, this is the first nightly build. Give it a try: wlx_3dsmax_1.0.0.1.zip

Thumbnail view is not yet implemented.

tbeu
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
listaspablo

Uauu

Post by *listaspablo »

Fast answer, i try it. Thanks
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Autodesk® 3ds Max® Preview plugin launched

Post by *tbeu »

BobGo

Re: Autodesk® 3ds Max® Preview plugin launched

Post by *BobGo »

great job! does exactly what I want! thanks!
BobGo

Post by *BobGo »

tbeu wrote:At a first glance it does not look like a big deal to do it... But where can I download 3dsmax SDK, API description and some sample max files (of different version) without registration? Could someone please provide these information?

I wonder if http://download.autodesk.com/mne/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax51_SDK.exe is the latest SDK version :?:

Cheers,
tbeu
No, of course this is not the latest SDK! The latest can only be get as a sparks member or when you buy 3dsmax.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Autodesk® 3ds Max® Preview plugin 1.0.3.1 launched!

Image: http://tbeu.totalcmd.net/3dsmax/1.0.3.1/wlx_3dsmax_1.0.3.1.png

@BobGo
There was no need to use the 3ds Max SDK. So even easier...
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Actually, there is no direct need to install the Autodesk 3ds Max Preview plugin as I just figured out how to do extract the preview thumbnail of 3ds Max files using XnView. I believe XnView version must be less than 1.80 and the plugin Xcompound.dll must be available for XnView.

In wincmd.ini, [Lister] section type

Code: Select all

[Lister]
IView=1
IViewPath=C:\Path\to\xnview.exe
IviewAdditionalTypes=*.max
Restart TC and you can see the preview thumbnail in lister, Quick View or Thumbnail View.

tbeu
BobGo

Post by *BobGo »

Thanks for still supporting!
BobGo

Post by *BobGo »

Max2012, 2013: version# are not shown for these max versions :( this is maybe due to the Unicode change..
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

BobGo wrote:Max2012, 2013: version# are not shown for these max versions :( this is maybe due to the Unicode change..
Sorry! Should be fixed in 1.3.0.1.
BobGo

Post by *BobGo »

tbeu wrote:
BobGo wrote:Max2012, 2013: version# are not shown for these max versions :( this is maybe due to the Unicode change..
Sorry! Should be fixed in 1.3.0.1.
WOW. THAT WAS FAST!!
There is nothing for which you have to excuse!!! *I* have to excuse for bothering you!!
Thanks!!

btw: if you have access to maxsdk, there's a dir \samples\utilities\maxfind\ which demonstrates how all the other file properties could also be read out. It would be more than cool, if those could also be displayed somehow. But I doubt that you're allowed to publish the source code then..