secure FTP problem

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

d.acha

secure FTP problem

Post by *d.acha »

Hello,

I want to have secure FTP connection between my local computer and my remote server.

I have informed myself about this problem and have decided to install "SFTP plugin". I have downloaded file "wfx_sftp_1_2_58_1_setup.exe" from http://developer.berlios.de/projects/sftp4tc/ and installed it. After the installation I have not seen any changes into my Total Commander. Next, I have searched through this forum and have seen that I will find something into Network Neighborhood (something new have to appear there, something like SFTP.... or similar), but I have there only "Computers Near Me", "My Web Sites on MSN", "Entire Network" and "Add Network Place".

Maybe, have I something forgotten? Have You any ideas??

Thanks in Advance,
d.acha
fredvej

Post by *fredvej »

Look in your INI-file. If sftp4tc is installed correctly, there must be a section [FileSystemPlugins] containing an entry
Secure FTP Connections=installed\path\plugin_sftp.wfx

In the directory where you installed sftp4tc you must have the files plugin_sftp.wfx , psftp.dll , wcx_sftp_cfg.dll , wcx_sftp.ini , and a directory named rc, which contains the file wfx_sftp_cfg.xrc .
Best regards
Freddy Vejen
d.acha

Post by *d.acha »

Thanks for the answer,

> Look in your INI-file. If sftp4tc is installed correctly, there
> must be a section [FileSystemPlugins] containing an
> entry Secure FTP Connections=installed\path\plugin_sftp.wfx

I'm not sure, on which INI file do You mean, but I don't have any INI files in totalcmd and Sftp4tc folders. I have a wincmd.ini file which is located in c:\Winnt folder, but I don't have a [FileSystemPlugins] section.
-------

> In the directory where you installed sftp4tc you must
> have the files plugin_sftp.wfx , psftp.dll , wcx_sftp_cfg.dll ,
> wcx_sftp.ini , and a directory named rc, which contains
> the file wfx_sftp_cfg.xrc .

I have all of these files installed.
-------

Otherwise, I have installed Total Commander v. 6.53

Regards,
d.acha
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I'm not sure, on which INI file do You mean, but I don't have any INI files in totalcmd and Sftp4tc folders. I have a wincmd.ini file which is located in c:\Winnt folder, but I don't have a [FileSystemPlugins] section.
Help / About tells you about the wincmd.ini file currently in use.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

d.acha wrote:Thanks for the answer,

> Look in your INI-file. If sftp4tc is installed correctly, there

> must be a section [FileSystemPlugins] containing an
> entry Secure FTP Connections=installed\path\plugin_sftp.wfx

-------
Yes it's the wincmd.ini fredvej is talking about. And if there is no [FileSystemPlugins] section in you haven't installed the plugin (properly).
You may check first with [Alt]+[H]elp, then [A]bout where your ini file for the Total Commander is located (maybe you are wrong about the location).

But probably you have only unpacked the archive but not installed the plugin at all.

Open Configuration->Options->Plugins and press the configure button for Filesystem Plugins(WFX). In the opening dialog click the 'add' button and browse to the location of the 'wfx_ftps4tc.wfx' , select it and press ok.

Then the Plugin should be installed.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
d.acha

Post by *d.acha »

Hello Good People,

Thanks a lot for Your help.

I have multi-year experience in particular Internet areas, but FTP and some other things were always just one tool with which I have transfered my files.

Everything from Your messages appeard to be good now. Now I see "Secure FTP Connections". First time I have been asked for a password assigment and every repeatedly try the software was asked for it, but I can type total different string and I can pass to the "Secure FTP Connections" area. Is that bug or what??

Also, I can create new connection, but I don't know is it correctly created, since I can not connect to the server. I suppose that I need something installed on my server, something which will listening on the port 22.

Can You advise please?

My server (host) OS is Windows 2003 Server Standard (with root rights).

I'm feeling very embarrassment now, because I want something, and have not fundamental knowledge.

Thanks,
d.acha
fredvej

Post by *fredvej »

You are quite right, on the server you must have a secure shell service listening on port 22 (or any other port you configure, using a non-standard port may save you from some attacks). I don't know if you can find software to handle this on Windows. It's standard on Linux, but I guess running Linux on the server is not an option.
Best regards
Freddy Vejen
shocquer

Post by *shocquer »

if you need to securely transfer files between windows client and windows server, you have to find a good ftps server. there's no free solution, i'm aware of. for the client you can take total commander's ftp functionality. you should install tlswrap to transfer files using ssl/tls.

the other possibility is to use other (proprietar) solution, i think there's a free client&server combination you can use - for private or so.

sftp is not the right choice for windows, although you could try to use cygwin.
d.acha

Post by *d.acha »

Hm, I'm a little bit confused now :)

Now I know less that I have knew before opening this topic

So, do You know any free or not so expensive (I prefer free, of course) solution for secure file transfer between two remote windows computers?

d.acha
shocquer

Post by *shocquer »

Well, try filezilla.sourceforge.net
they have server and client. i didn't test the server with ssl - it's rather a new feature. it the server works well you can choose between filezilla client or totalcmd with tlswrap.
AlleyKat

Post by *AlleyKat »

How I got it working: Picked up all 3 files @ BerliOS. First unpacked the 2 zips to my c:\programfiles\totalcmd\wfx\sftp\ folder. Ran the installer. When asked, I placed install in c:\programfiles\totalcmd\wfx\sftp\ (hmm seems to have caused a subdir or 2 however). The installer finished by saying it couldn't find the 'plugin' wincmd.ini, and nothing showed up in TC. Reading this thread I checked the ini, and the lines were missing. Added them manually. Had a SFTP-folder in Networks that I couldn't open. Deleted the plugin via Settings interface, and re-added it (from c:\programfiles\totalcmd\wfx\sftp\ - not subfolder SFTP4TC).

Works great, no questions about pass at entering. Wondering if I should uninstall the plugin from Windows itself, as it seems to be running off the 2 unpacked zips files...
8)
Translate your favorite Mozilla Extension ~ Your Language Is Important Too.
#tcmd on irc.freenode.net - the place to idle
joker

Post by *joker »

just to inform you all, ftps is the standard worldwide, not sftp. guess what flashfxp includes...
shocquer

Post by *shocquer »

you definitely need server for any protocol, so if your admin won't/can't let run an ftp server with auth-tls extension you have to use another protocols like scp or sftp, if they're available...
joker

Post by *joker »

there cannot be a reason, even not crypto laws, for allowing scp or sftp but not tls, never ever.