[Wish] Unlimited length of comment in descript.ion file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

urrri

[Wish] Unlimited length of comment in descript.ion file

Post by *urrri »

Many utilities (like ReGet) allows large comments in descript.ion file.
TC copies large comments very good, but doesn't allow edit or create more then 512 chars. This restriction is obsolete and should be removed or at least should be added option that allows unlimited length.

Thanks.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Support++, even if it isn't compatible with the original standard.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Xtrician

Post by *Xtrician »

Support++
Elad
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I thought it had to do with Windows limit to how much text it can/will display as a tooltip popup.
urrri

Post by *urrri »

The problem is not in tooltip, but in editing dialog. If tooltip has restriction - text can be cropped before inserting in tooltip, but you always can see it with Ctrl+Z.

One more thing that I want to propose is pseudo multiline comment, where new line character can be replaced with | (pipe) and back. Like Reget does. This feature can be optional (with check box in options or editing dialog)
Clo

Old wish…

Post by *Clo »

2urrri

:) Hello !

• Ages ago, I requested a line-wrapping for the info-texts from the <descript.ion> files. Nope… :|
- AFAIR, I tested several syntaxes, none worked there (like #10#13 - \n and similar…).

- But yet, the \n wrapping-mark is supported for info-texts set as custom fields, using a WDX plugin…
- Indeed, I support your request.

• Aside, I would like too that the <descript.ion> file be not hidden, that causes issues in some cases,
and IMHO this is totally useless…
- Here, I change the attributes and I've created a file type *.ION with an icon, it's convenient for me.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
urrri

Post by *urrri »

2Clo
Hi!
Multiline separator also can be tunable in options. By default multiline can be switched off and separator empty. But user can choose one or two symbols as separator and switch this option on. In this case by default system will work according standard, but if user want to be compatible with another programs, that extend standard - he'll have this possibility. Finally comment in descript.ion file stays single line according standard but only presented in edit dialog and tooltip as multiline.
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Support it also, and if it will be possible to comment several files in one operation it would be great (I know there is a Powerpro script alternative).
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Clo

INI entry ?

Post by *Clo »

2urrri
Finally comment in descript.ion file stays single line according standard but only presented in edit dialog and tooltip as multiline.
:) Anyway, that should do the trick…
- Maybe a simple INI entry could be added to choose the separator ? Something like :
CommentPseudoWrapping= { Separator character(s) }
;Choose a mark among the following ones : | || ¦ \n #10#13 to display the comments as several rows.
- Indeed, any other character¦combination of characters could be proposed, it's just an example…

:mrgreen:  KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
urrri

Post by *urrri »

2Clo
INI entry could be added to choose the separator
That what I mean. GUI for this option is only "nice to have"

2gbo
comment several files in one operation

Support as "nice to have"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

descript.ion isn't a format with which you can do what you want! It was introduced by the makers of the tool 4dos and 4nt. These tools limit the length of the descript.ion line to 512 characters, and do not support any line breaks. TC would break these tools if it ignored their restrictions. Unfortunately as you have noticed there are some programmers which simply ignore other programs and do what they please with a file format.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

These tools limit the length of the descript.ion line to 512 characters, and do not support any line breaks.
You can add additional data after the ^D char.
You can interpret \n as a line break.

Icfu
This account is for sale
urrri

Post by *urrri »

These tools limit ...
There are many limitations in standards. For example ReadOnly files cannot be replaced or edited, but you allow it to user after you ask him. You can do it also with comments. Ask user (in ini file or options) and if he want - allow him. Why not.
TC would break these tools if it ignored their restrictions
If you do it optional you don't break. You allow user to break it. But I think there are enough users, that don't use use these tools, but use another, that already work in extended "standard".

Lets allow user to choose preferred "standard"
Stiltzkin

Post by *Stiltzkin »

any update on this?

no restriction and line-wrapping would be great imho
Ralph

Working within the standard

Post by *Ralph »

A second file, perhaps named descript.lng, could handle the ends of long comments. A unique text string such as "<See descript.lng>" could be used at the end of the descript.ion line for any file with a longer comment. The descript.ion file would not crash other software. The user of other software would see the continuation text string, and be reminded to check the descript.lng file.