Operations on folders in "separate tree"

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Operations on folders in "separate tree"

Post by *Juergen »

When I have selected a folder in the new "separate tree", it would be really useful to be able to do some operations on it (e.g. rename it, [ F5 ], drag and drop it to another folder in one of the main panels, drag and drop it to another folder in the "separate tree" itself, ...

Regards, Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If you remap F2 to cm_RenameOnly you can rename while in the tree. Well, kind of at least. The rename is done in the active path box then.

Is the only useful thing you can do with the separate trees the ability to change paths? I cannot believe that. I had hoped that they would be a complete replacement for the Explorer functionality...

Looks like Ctrl-F8 isn't that superfluous in the end then... ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The separate tree functionality seems to be complete when used as target but not when used as source.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Oh, another new info, thanks. Maybe we should simply not consider TC 7 as feature complete then and just wait for this bug to be fixed until the final. :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Not feature complete or not error-free :?
I guess participating in a public-beta is more than just waiting.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

True, but we have to wait after reporting the bug or feature lack at least. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Anywy maybe we should discuss this more concretely.
- Rename item in tree should work inline.
- Normal copy/move a tree item should also be possible.
- Drag&Drop is a problem. The way the selection moved up and down in the tree is definitely by design. The strange thing about it is that it works completely different than in file list - at least when using right mouse selection mode. The left mouse can be used to hover of the tree panel until it's released. In contrast the right-click menu pops up immediately.
I don't see why it behaves different in the separate tree. Drag&drop should work just like in the normal panel. As no multiple selection are supported the right-click behavior is fine. Moving up/down in the tree using the keyboard is fine but the mouse behavior should be change to single click=select. That's not less comfortable as the current click/move/release but would also allow drag&drop.

BTW: Did you notice that the tree works as target for right-click drag&drop ;-)
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

icfu wrote:Looks like Ctrl-F8 isn't that superfluous in the end then... ;)
Yep. ;)
Now we have 2 different types of trees in 2 different types of panels ...
Lefteous wrote:Anywy maybe we should discuss this more concretely.
For the sake of usability, I think the "saparate tree" should work the same way as the "main panel tree". But according to what you wrote, this might not be possible?

Regards, Juergen
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Juergen
For the sake of usability, I think the "saparate tree" should work the same way as the "main panel tree". But according to what you wrote, this might not be possible?
I never understood how the classic tree worked. It should work as I wrote above.
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Lefteous wrote:I never understood how the classic tree worked. It should work as I wrote above.
Yep, that's fine for me. I think I expressed myself unclear -- my main point currently is, that I would like both trees to behave as similar as possible.

Regards, Juergen
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Anywy maybe we should discuss this more concretely.
That's right, my point of view is best expressed in my above statement:
I had hoped that they would be a complete replacement for the Explorer functionality...
To make it more precise: I would take the good things and leave out the bad features!

For example: For me drag&drop ability inside the separate trees (like in Explorer, no confirmation box) is not really a must-have, because from my own experiences it's not reliable. If you release the mouse button too early or too late, your stuff is put in the wrong folder. Also TC still has no undo capability, so I am strictly against that also for this reason.

If it would work like in the normal panels (with confirm message like you seem to expect it) it would definetely annoy me.

So, I think (right now at least) that I like the hover feature in the separate trees as an alternative to drag&drop inside the panel tree views. It's great to have the active directory highlighted when picking it.

But, what I definetely would vote for is Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V support. These shortcuts can be used very efficiently in trees, especially with clipboard enhancers like the excellent CLCL.
BTW: Did you notice that the tree works as target for right-click drag&drop
My RMB is blocked right now, mouse is on drugs, so I cannot test it. :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
If you release the mouse button too early or too late,
Did you ever saw this handy filled rectangle around the target directory? :roll:
My RMB is blocked right now, mouse is on drugs, so I cannot test it.
:roll:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Did you ever saw this handy filled rectangle around the target directory?
Yep, I was talking about accidents, they occur from time to time... And, I was talking about Explorer functionality where no confirmation boxes are shown.

RMB = Right Mouse Button

My mouse has a hiccup, I cannot hold down the key so I cannot test drag&drop with RMB right now. I need a new mouse or time to repair it, sorry...

Edit: I tested with AHK LMB to RMB remapping now. Yeah, it works, that's nice! :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I prefer NOT to support any source operations in the separate tree. Why? It must always be clear what is the source and what is the target in file operations like F5, F6 etc. They always work with the current file panel. The trees can work as drop TARGETs, though, just like the tabs, buttons etc.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Please, consider the clipboard shortcuts Ctrl-x, c, v. They don't need a "target".

Icfu
This account is for sale